FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Conrad Bora Bora {PYF} (formerly Hilton)
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2021, 10:57 pm
FleyeSkyHigh

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Can I ask where you heard this? Have a June 15th flight LAX-PPT. Still shows active.

Thanks
TD
I should have been more specific. They (AF) are only cancelling (or avoiding LAX) up until June 13th. It's actually rather interesting that they made the decision earlier than we would have expected. But the deciding factor still seems to be the U.S. ban on foreigners transiting through LAX (coupled with other operational challenges I referenced before). The most interesting piece is that at least for the first week of June the Air France LAX-PPT flights were filling up well (over 85% business class booked and over 60% W and Y booked with mostly U.S. originating passengers). Notice I used the word 'booked' as opposed to 'sold.'

I think the way the company is looking at it these days is that despite the high bookings most of it was old revenue (ie passengers that have been cancelled and had re-booked using old ticket credit accumulated since the start of the pandemic). So they really are not making new revenue and to cancel and reduce frequency by re-routing via Vancouver (out of necessity to operate once or twice a week back to the Metropolis ie AF065/066) they are not really losing any new revenue yet they are saving operational costs by scaling back. Albeit they are not beginning to dig out of the backlog hole of travel credit either which isn't going away. Poor business in my eyes but I believe the reason they don't add a dedicated LAX-PPT-LAX rotation is that it would be operationally challenging and they have a lot of planes still stored right now.

FYI: AF bookings are MUCH lighter for the mid-June time frame so sadly I would not count on your LAX-PPT AF076 on June 15th operating unless something major changes (FP opens to the French AND the U.S. allows foreign tourists to enter/transit). That said, if you have miles to burn on AA or DL take a look at TN111 for the same date. It's wide open right now in J (only two seats booked), PE and Y and mileage awards available in all classes.