FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2021 Q2 Promo
Thread: 2021 Q2 Promo
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2021, 9:14 am
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Are you referring to the promo launched in June of last year?

IIRC you get 2,000 points after your first stay then Bonus points on all subsequent stays.
As for the annoying part? I am referring to several promos that started on the second stay, not necessarily the one last summer (which I really don't recall). Tracking whether I have an odd or an even night at the end of this current promo (and if odd, deciding whether I want to do 1 more stay to get the bonus) is much less annoying than mattress running a 1 night stay right before a long stay just so that I can get any bonus. Usually, I don't have the time or the location to do such a thing, an I have missed out on thousands of points before because of this.

Originally Posted by Matt4200
I’d say it’s more like -

Going to the same steakhouse repeatedly then one month they change their offer. They usually had a publicly available offer to customers for 25% off their total bill, but now they’ve switched that to $10 off when you purchase 2 entrees.

The former is enticing and gets people in the door whether they’re ordering Sirloins, New York Strips, Ribeyes, Porterhouses, Prime Rib or Wagyu.

Whereas the latter is typically only enticing to people ordering for 2 people to have Sirloins or New York strips.

It also seems like Hilton is very odd number friendly with their promotions as well as 5th night free whereas Hyatt is not. Interesting because Hyatt is the “oddball” in the Hotel industry.
Your metaphor sounds fine, if
- you adjusted it so that it is 10$ off every second meal (again, you don't need even number stays with the current promo, you only lose any bonus by ending the entire promo on an odd numbered stay), And, after 10 meals, you also get a free entree up to a NY strip steak.
- and the steakhouse serves tons of burgers -- like 4 times more burgers than steaks. Those burger people are finding the $10 off promo to be just as good (maybe even better) than the 25% off deal. And they walk to the restaurant so the free valet parking on last quarter was meaningless to them.

There is value to lots of people with this promo, that doesn't mean that there is less value to some people though. I recognize that.

And back to the overall question -- does this promo entice new business?

The last promo was very enticing for point stays and mid-to-higher range cash stays. I went ahead and did a small spur of the moment trip I wouldn't have other done last fall, and extended a stay over new years because of it. That was the first time ever I did extra nights because of how 'cheap' it was considering the value of the promos.

Right now , I am enticed to do more stays as well, especially with the stacking of promos right now. Overall. I had had six nights under the current promo so far, and no planned stays until after the promo period ends. I have three Cat1-4 certs right now, and a new Cat4 I want to go to. There is also something I want to go to in a couple of weeks, where I can stay at brand new cat2 property nearby. By doing these two stays, spending my three certs at the Cat4 plus cash ($100) for the other property, I will get 9000 WoH bonus points between the current promo (5000 pts, I am a WOH CC holder) and the enhanced new hotel bonus (1000 points a night), 4000 AA points due to that targeted promo, a fresh Cat1-4 cert from the current promo, and will still pick up the 1000 regular points on the cash part (base points CC bonus, glob bonus). Parking will be free on the three award nights anyways, and on the 100$ cash stay, parking will be 7$.

Under the old promo, I'd only get 3500 from this (triple bonus + regular new hotel bonus). Of course, I would pay cash on the Cat4 ($700) instead of burning the certs, but it sure is nice to not burn cash right now. My grifter index as never been higher -- 43 nights credited to date, and less than $200 spend for the year.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel that WoH is pretty much paying me to stay at Hyatts right now.

All told, I will have 10 nights under this promo,

Spending 3 cat1-4s, 114$ in cash, 25000 points; and a $100 Free WOH Gift Card

and I will get in return ~17,500 WoH points (2500 regularly, 10,000 bonus points, 5,000 new hotel points), 9,000 AA points, and a new Cat1-4.

And I am not just eating cheap burgers over here, this is 3 nights at brand new Cat4 HC, 4 nights at a pretty decent cat 1 HR (HR Wichita), 2 nights at brand new HPs, (and 1 night at a crappy HP).

Not bad. Not bad at all....