FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Conrad Bora Bora {PYF} (formerly Hilton)
View Single Post
Old Apr 30, 2021, 2:30 pm
FleyeSkyHigh

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Sorry to hear about the AF cancel. I understand they canceled all PPT flights through May. Anyone had their June flights canceled yet?

TD
June flights are still on the books but Air France has both business as well as operational challenges if they are going to try and operate via LAX for June 1st.

Although it would be relatively easy for them just to do the LAX to PPT and back rotation they would normally not do so for a multitude of reasons (maintenance, crew, ground ops, ect). So for them to operate LAX to PPT they actually then have to operate twice as many CDG-LAX which puts them way over capacity between Paris and Los Angeles. So there is little business upside for them to operate to Tahiti just for the U.S. market. That said break even (as opposed to at a loss) is usually reason enough for an airline to operate these days (esp for AF for which the French government owns more than 15% of the total share). Also, if they operate LAX-PPT solely for the U.S. market an argument could be made that it would be operating a fifth freedom route which is another whole can of worms especially as it pertains to their agreements with Delta. The next issue is operations.... Air France would have to significantly change their ground operations in Papeete to support compliance of COVD-19 US entrance testing requirements among other nuances. Air France will have to make a decision by May 10th for their flights scheduled for June 1st. I am not optimistic.

If French Polynesia is reopened to French tourists then I definitely think they will operate. If not, I think it's a less than 50% chance they run PPT-LAX flights by start of June. If the U.S. drops the COVID-19 testing requirement for entry or if the U.S. removes the ban on European passengers entering/transiting I think the changes might slightly increase.