FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Low-Mid Level Status to Have?
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:09 am
CMK10
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been almost every tier there is in the last decade and I've thought about this extensively. Here is my list:

- Low Tier Best: American Gold. You get: free upgrades on flights of 500 miles or less and the chance to use electronic upgrades on longer flights. There's less competition so you can get more upgrades. You also get access to preferred seats at booking and Main Cabin Extra at check in. You're in Group 4 boarding. Oneworld Ruby is recognized by partner airlines in a way that Skyteam Elite and Star Silver are not. Earnings are the same as the other tiers. I found AA Gold has a better shot at upgrades than DL Silver or UA Silver. DL Silver is also treated as below their other tiers at hub airports in terms of priority security and check in in a way AA Gold is not.

- Second Lowest Tier Best: United Gold. You get: Free Same Day Change, Star Alliance Gold, E+ at booking and better shots at an upgrade. You're also in Group 1 boarding along with First Class. AA Platinum is an improvement over Gold in that you get free Main Cabin Extra at booking and Oneworld Sapphire which means lounge access internationally but you don't get free Same Day Change and your upgrade odds while better are still going to hover around 50% or lower. Delta Gold doesn't give Comfort Plus at booking but at 72 hours out and upgrades are tough. Plus Skyteam Elite Plus is worth less (in my opinion) than Star Gold and OW Sapphire.