Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best Low-Mid Level Status to Have?

Best Low-Mid Level Status to Have?

Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Lightbulb Best Low-Mid Level Status to Have?

Stuck in an interesting predicament if I want to stick with Southwest Rapid Rewards (Current A-List Member), or switch my Loyalty to either AAdvantage or Delta SkyMiles Medallion. I'm within striking distance of going all in on one or the other, and likely need to make that decision at some point soon. With that being said, I have points all across most major programs, and in the Big 3 Banks as well. (Citi TY, Chase UR, Amex MR).
I usually fly out of STL, but also can go to COU and MCI if needed as well.
Looking for any recommendations on if it's worth staying on the track with A-List with Southwest, or if it's time to go for a Big Three carrier. Keep in mind this would be lower to mid-level status as well.
If I decided today, Leaning towards Delta for their new promotion to Fast-Track to Status and have made a little progress thanks to last years MQM rollover, but already have made some progress with SW and feel some sort of loyalty to them (13 Segments to go), and American is just a few flights for a international trip and work trip away for meeting Gold. While I do enjoy A-List, I am looking to go abroad next year for an extended period and having some sort of status with an international alliance could help.
Just trying to see my options is all!
Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I’m not very familiar with SW FF program but have had status on DL, AA in the past. In order to benefit from any status, the key considerations would probably involve the following:
- area(s) you plan on travel next year and how DL/AA status would be helpful (either directly or via the alliance network). For example, at one point I had status with both UA and AA but a lot of my business/personal travel was to Asia and I found myself flying UA most of the time due to its better alliance network.
- overall airline experience. I found both airlines comparable in terms of customer service but AA seemed to treat me better as an elite whereas DL had generally better planes, entertainment onboard, etc.
- value and planned use of miles. I was able to get good value out of AA miles but not so much from DL miles. DL miles are often referred to as Sky pesos so something to keep in mind if you plan to do a lot of travel & earn a lot of miles next year.

safe travels!
Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:09 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been almost every tier there is in the last decade and I've thought about this extensively. Here is my list:

- Low Tier Best: American Gold. You get: free upgrades on flights of 500 miles or less and the chance to use electronic upgrades on longer flights. There's less competition so you can get more upgrades. You also get access to preferred seats at booking and Main Cabin Extra at check in. You're in Group 4 boarding. Oneworld Ruby is recognized by partner airlines in a way that Skyteam Elite and Star Silver are not. Earnings are the same as the other tiers. I found AA Gold has a better shot at upgrades than DL Silver or UA Silver. DL Silver is also treated as below their other tiers at hub airports in terms of priority security and check in in a way AA Gold is not.

- Second Lowest Tier Best: United Gold. You get: Free Same Day Change, Star Alliance Gold, E+ at booking and better shots at an upgrade. You're also in Group 1 boarding along with First Class. AA Platinum is an improvement over Gold in that you get free Main Cabin Extra at booking and Oneworld Sapphire which means lounge access internationally but you don't get free Same Day Change and your upgrade odds while better are still going to hover around 50% or lower. Delta Gold doesn't give Comfort Plus at booking but at 72 hours out and upgrades are tough. Plus Skyteam Elite Plus is worth less (in my opinion) than Star Gold and OW Sapphire.
samplat likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.