FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Post Your Marriott Bonvoy Elite Upgrade Experiences 2021
Old Mar 24, 2021, 12:21 am
btonkid12345

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by fastflyer
So in this specific instance, I had booked a junior suite. I received a junior suite, which was an unusually large junior suite (larger than most 1BR suites actually).

Upon check-in I had asked about getting an upgrade to a named suite, which in this hotel are all on the top floor, and the response was those suites were not prepared for occupancy unless specifically booked. I cannot imagine they are left dirty, but I think that whole floor might have been closed off. I did not go up there to investigate, but at a different Westin in DC last year, I was explicitly told that only a few floors were open for business (meaning many were "closed"). In Kansas City, I got the impression that many junior suites WERE available, and as that is what I booked, the FD check-in guy, who was professional and informative, said he would put me in the largest junior suite available on property. He also called me once I got to my suite to ask if it was large enough, and it was. That was the satisfactory end of that aspect of the stay. As a pre-merger Marriott elite, room upgrades have always been vanishingly rare, which is why I tend to books suites if I want a suite.

Room service is also rather rare at FS Bonvoy properties nowadays, so that didn't faze me. And my overall guest experience was above average. So maybe 7 out of 10 rather than 8. The gym and pool experiences do need a refresh. The garage is a bit of a maze. But it is an attractive, interesting property. If I was returning to KC, I would stay at this property again. The other property I like, The Raphael, is several dozen blocks south of downtown. That would be my alternate choice in KC.
I appreciate your follow up reply. Thank you.

Even worse that you actually paid for the junior suite. Why didn’t you cancel and rebook at check in (or ask for a rate adjustment) to a standard room and an upgrade to a junior suite?

Again, nowhere in the T&Cs does it state a carve out for a floor supposedly being closed to save the owner money. If a named suite is bookable, a standard suite, and unoccupied for that night, it should be an upgrade to a Platinum or higher member. Period.

I wish more would put their foot down and not let properties get away with this sort of nonsense, which fly in the face of the contract they signed to put up their BONVOY sign.