FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo 2020 Olympics discussion [consolidated]
Old Mar 22, 2021, 3:45 am
hailstorm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
Baseball, J-League, sumo are all different in that those are all local events with Japanese making up vast majority of athletes and >95% of spectators (except sumo) traditionally. So there's no need to expressly ban foreign residents from those events, no controversies necessarily. Olympics run on a completely different premise.
Actually, the vast majority of tickets sold to these Games were sold to people living in Japan. So the premise is the same.

They had 5 choices: 1. full-version (but with lottery to eliminate some % of ticketholders to limit crowd) with loosening of public health restrictions on foreign ticketholders; 2. full-version but all foreign ticketholders subject to standard Covid entry/quarantine restrictions; 3. Japanese ticketholders only; 4. No spectators; 5. No Games.
Guess you forgot option zero: full-version. This is what Florida seemed to promise.

There's no right/wrong here. Many people probably won't care. But if you ask me, (3) is poor form, (4) is the least bad choice. I guess it would've been better if IOC had decided it, but it seems this was Jpn's decision.
Let the IOC decide what to do in a sovereign nation? Name one country that would allow that.

Originally Posted by freecia
*Sucks teeth*

I just don't see them readily agreeing to share the same calendar year. Beijing 2022 would also be known as Tokyo 2022.
No it wouldn't. Tokyo 2020 is still Tokyo 2020. I assure you that not one single sign in Tokyo has been changed to read "Tokyo 2021", nor would it change to "Tokyo 2022". They're wedded to that branding too.