FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WN enter more northwest cities
View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:51 am
PDXpress

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mtofell
This is a great point but there is also a valid counterpoint - I'm now with you. No way I'll be treated like a piece of cattle in a herd to save a few bucks. But I haven't always had this mindset. For years I flew 1X every year or two.... airline loyalty meant nothing. $10 cheaper fare? I'm game. Now, I appreciate the perks, mileage program, seating upgrades, lounge access, etc. that AS provides and WN likely can't or won't.
So, the question is, will enough people take the budget route with WN?
I know it's hard to imagine, but there are a lot of people who prefer Southwest. WN isn't generally cheaper, and people choose to fly them anyway. They're not idiots.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
There is no way I'm going to take a non-stop flight on WN from EUG-LAS when I can fly AS and get more miles on a traditional, mileage-based frequent flyer program, a confirmed seat assignment, a visit to the Alaska Lounge in PDX/SEA, and the potential for an upgrade.
I would never take a non-stop flight when I could have a connection is peak Flyertalk. For most people a 1.5 hour nonstop flight always beats a 4+ hour connection. Unless, as in the current case of EUG-LAS, the nonstop is Allegiant in which case, h--- no! Why rag on Southwest when there are truly inferior airlines to rag on?