FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2021 Consolidated Discussion of Tipping Ride Services Drivers
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:15 pm
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jmastron
As others have said, I have no problem with tipping Uber drivers, but I want to do it in the app once the ride is complete and I'm at a convenient place to do so.

I always hate being in a cab, watching the meter trying to figure out what it's going to end up at and what a good tip would be on that, fishing around to see what bills I have to pay with, hoping it doesn't trip to the next dollar or more since I only have 3 1s, etc. Worse when this is all in unfamiliar foreign currency, in the dark, with the car blocking traffic adding pressure. The whole point of app-based transportation with payment methods already set up is to remove all that stress.

If drivers can see whether you've tipped yet or not before they enter their rating, then perhaps they should have to wait an hour or so to enter their rating.
I'm going to have to ask my friend if the driver can change a rating on a passenger like a passenger can change the rating on a driver. I'd much rather go cashless as well, especially if I'm doing a short trip and can use it against my Am Ex monthly uber credit and on a busienss trip it's easier to get reimbursed for.

I do hate pretipping though like Doordash wants you to do. I always tip ahead of time so the driver will be more likely to accept the order but hate it when a driver shows up with no mask at the door (and there are signs on the entrance door, the doors to the stiars and on all the elevator doors saying masks must be worn in all public areas), would love to be able to rescind part of the tip like you can do on instacart.