FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2021 Consolidated Discussion of Tipping Ride Services Drivers
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:32 pm
jmastron

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
An uber driver is putting as many miles on his car for a trip as a food delivery driver. If someone isn't going to tip a cab driver or a shuttle driver then I can understand why they wouldn't tip an uber driver, but if you are tipping a cab or shuttle driver why wouldn't you tip an Uber driver for providing the same service?

I agree tipping is getting out of hand in this county though. They should just pay people a decent wage. My friends complaint with Uber is they keep dropping their payouts and he's at the point he is ready to do food delivery only and I don't blame him if he is making more and doesn't have to transport people in his car during a pandemic.

Someone in my office told me you are expected to tip employees at pot shops and there is a tip jar at the cash register of a small store by my condo.
As others have said, I have no problem with tipping Uber drivers, but I want to do it in the app once the ride is complete and I'm at a convenient place to do so.

I always hate being in a cab, watching the meter trying to figure out what it's going to end up at and what a good tip would be on that, fishing around to see what bills I have to pay with, hoping it doesn't trip to the next dollar or more since I only have 3 1s, etc. Worse when this is all in unfamiliar foreign currency, in the dark, with the car blocking traffic adding pressure. The whole point of app-based transportation with payment methods already set up is to remove all that stress.

If drivers can see whether you've tipped yet or not before they enter their rating, then perhaps they should have to wait an hour or so to enter their rating.