FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2021 Consolidated Discussion of Tipping Ride Services Drivers
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:05 pm
RooseveltL

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I respect your comments but food delivery is very different from rideshare and using the app. Food delivery typically is tipped on speed of delivery and it is neat (unscrambled due to rocky ride) upon arrival. If I'm going to airport with cashless app - it is impossible to tip prior to trip as what if car smells of smoke, or driver has odor, driver is unsafe (almost caused an accident) or doesn't even attempt to help me with my bags in the trunk. Upon arrival at airport I may not tip until I arrive at my destination as other priorities. I will tip but not immediately - it is unfortunate and unfair for a driver to rate a passenger based on their tip.
E.g. if I tip the driver 25% but it is 7 hrs later after I fly cross-country - does he/she think I didn't tip and give me a low rating despite I was at meeting point ontime, had only 1 bag, didn't have loud phone conversation and said Good Morning/Thank you. Just food for thought - assumptions shouldn't apply and one set of rules doesn't apply to all.

I'd also add there are many many studies of assumptions on tips based on class, race, etc. so this could turn into a bias class action if it turns out due to continual bad reviews for certain races, they are less likely to be picked up or chosen by a driver vs. others. I think this already applies for AirB&B and assume certain images would also generate same response based on some locations.