FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2021 Consolidated Discussion of Tipping Ride Services Drivers
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:20 am
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Some of these comments are unreal. The point of rideshare apps is never having to carry cash or wallet. Whether someone tips or doesn't via the app - that shouldn't be the basis of their rating as a passenger.
I can understand a driver rating someone lower for not tipping. The guy I know who drives for Uber said sometimes he'll base pickups on a busy night on ratings and won't pick up a lower rated passenger. If a passenger isn't going to tip, I can understand a driver wanting to pick up someone that would tip.

He drives a couple food delivery gigs as well and said he isn't even doing Uber much anymore since he makes more at those and doesn't have paasengers in his car. I know when I order doordash I can pretip in the app and he said when he gets an order on a food delivery gig it will show how much he'll make and the distance before accepting an order and Uber doesn't show him the distance or how much he makes until he shows up at the persons house. Sounds like Uber needs to change their app so the person can tip ahead of time and have it show the driver how much they'll make and where they'll be going before they accept a ride.

I understand drivers wanting tipped. People tip their pizza driver (well they should, but I know from delivering pizzas in college a lot of people don't) and it's the same wear and tear on their car, people tip a sky club bartender for getting them a diet coke, they tip a taxi driver or shuttle driver, they tip a bartender for opening a bottle of beer.