FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Involuntary Cancellation on Partner Award Ticket
Old Feb 27, 2021, 10:07 am
bostontraveler

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
To circumvent all of this, what I would would recommend (and what I do myself) to handle INVOL tickets has been to email LifeMiles support ([email protected]) requesting cancelation.

Simply send them a short email containing the booking confirmation number that explains that the flight has been canceled by the operating carrier, and that you'd like a refund with the cancelation fee waived. They will email you back (generally in around 24 to 48 hours) to confirm what you're requesting, and explaining that your request will need to be forwarded to a supervisor. They will also note that while they can waive the cancelation fee (the $200 fee for long haul premium awards), they cannot refund the $25 partner award booking fee you already paid. Email them back confirming that you wish to escalate your refund request. Finally (in around 24-48 hours), the supervisor will email you back confirming your miles redeposit and refund. The miles generally show up back in your account as soon as you get the email. The cash refund of your taxes and fees will take several months to hit your credit card with Avianca's current bankruptcy. That said, with patience and no further follow up, I have always gotten my refund EVENTUALLY.

The only major downside to this approach is that as you call out, you will not receive your refund of your $25 partner award booking fee. Given that this approach only takes a few minutes of mental energy compared to hours on the phone, that's a trade-off I'm willing to take.
I'm impressed that you have managed to do this. I have had 6 tickets cancelled by the airline and each and every time I tried to email them they told me "the only channel that can help with operational changes is our phone line"...