Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo

Involuntary Cancellation on Partner Award Ticket

Involuntary Cancellation on Partner Award Ticket

Old Sep 22, 21, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 2P
Online Itinerary Change

I'm not sure if this common knowledge that you can make an itinerary change online? Well, I had Star Alliance award on Swiss and I notice there was a flight change on one segment and cancellation on the other segment. I did the online chat and they informed me to use the manage trip selection. I did, it gave me an alternative flights to choose from. I made the change and new seats are confirmed.

This a step in the right direction. However, I wasn't notified of the flight changes from Lifemiles. Thanks goodness I checked the status on CheckMyTrip and crossed reference with Swiss Air.

I hope this is helpful.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Sep 22, 21, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by thetravelman View Post
I'm not sure if this common knowledge that you can make an itinerary change online? Well, I had Star Alliance award on Swiss and I notice there was a flight change on one segment and cancellation on the other segment. I did the online chat and they informed me to use the manage trip selection. I did, it gave me an alternative flights to choose from. I made the change and new seats are confirmed.

This a step in the right direction. However, I wasn't notified of the flight changes from Lifemiles. Thanks goodness I checked the status on CheckMyTrip and crossed reference with Swiss Air.

I hope this is helpful.
Did/can you call up Swiss and make sure the tool actually ticketed the change, and didnt just update the PNR? The last time I tried this tool, LifeMiles just updated the PNR and didnt bother to re-issue the eTicket, so I would not have actually have been able to complete the flight. You can tell this by either calling in or by using the website to have Swiss send you a copy of the eTicket. The Swiss booking management page will *look* like everything is right, but its just pulling from the PNR.
Old Sep 22, 21, 1:37 pm

Programs: TK Elite
As I understand it you made the change on the Swiss webpage?

If correct it is unlikely that ticket has been reissued. LX can't do it because it is an award ticket issued by LM and most likely LM has no knowledge of the changes to the reservation you made with LX.

If the ticket No. you see after the change remains the same, you need to contact LM for reissue of the ticket. You can't travel on the original ticket when the flights have been changed, the ticket needs to be reissued. If the ticket No. has changed after you made the change, the ticket has been reissued and you should be good to go and there is no reason to contact LM.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Oct 1, 21, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord View Post
Did/can you call up Swiss and make sure the tool actually ticketed the change, and didnt just update the PNR? The last time I tried this tool, LifeMiles just updated the PNR and didnt bother to re-issue the eTicket, so I would not have actually have been able to complete the flight. You can tell this by either calling in or by using the website to have Swiss send you a copy of the eTicket. The Swiss booking management page will *look* like everything is right, but its just pulling from the PNR.
First, thanks for the tip. I thought I was in the clear when I saw confirmed on both reservations on LX website as well as AV website. It appears they did the same thing with me by only updating the PNR.
Old Oct 1, 21, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
As I understand it you made the change on the Swiss webpage?

If correct it is unlikely that ticket has been reissued. LX can't do it because it is an award ticket issued by LM and most likely LM has no knowledge of the changes to the reservation you made with LX.

If the ticket No. you see after the change remains the same, you need to contact LM for reissue of the ticket. You can't travel on the original ticket when the flights have been changed, the ticket needs to be reissued. If the ticket No. has changed after you made the change, the ticket has been reissued and you should be good to go and there is no reason to contact LM.
Thanks to you SK AAR as well. Initially, I made the change on LifeMiles website. I assumed that they updated the e-ticket, but obviously I was incorrect. I check with LX and he informed me that a ticket would need to be re-issued, as you stated before. They still have my original e-ticket containing the older flights.

Anyway, the AV agent finally re-issued my new ticket numbers and I verified with LX.

It took me two days and different agents to get this straight.

Well, I've learned my lesson....

Thanks again.
Old Oct 1, 21, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by thetravelman View Post
Thanks to you SK AAR as well. Initially, I made the change on LifeMiles website. I assumed that they updated the e-ticket, but obviously I was incorrect. I check with LX and he informed me that a ticket would need to be re-issued, as you stated before. They still have my original e-ticket containing the older flights.

Anyway, the AV agent finally re-issued my new ticket numbers and I verified with LX.

It took me two days and different agents to get this straight.

Well, I've learned my lesson....

Thanks again.
Basically the rule is if it looks simple- it isnt with LifeMiles.

I have even had the experience of improperly reissued tickets.

Unfortunately after your ticket is issued you still cant be sure its been done properly.

I would suggest contacting the operating carrier to verify the ticket was issued properly bc LM agents are all over the place- some excellent, most mediocre and some downright incompetent.
Old Oct 7, 21, 5:38 am

LM Rebooking experience (TK): departure changed to another country

Hi, sharing a recent experience rebooking a flight with LM, after an involuntary cancellation from TK. Any help / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Had a LifeMiles award tickets on Turkish for xxx-IST-MRU for later this year. Received an email from TK saying IST-MRU had been cancelled. After several calls to TK and LifeMiles, including a 3-way call, we managed to change the travel dates to another day when the flight was being operated. I confirmed flight numbers and travel dates with both TK and LM over the phone for both segments.

However, new ticket has been re-issued with a place of departure from another country (!) As in YYY-IST-MRU. I have contacted TK and LM saying this is an error from their side, and to listen to the call in question but they put the blame on each other. TK says they cannot touch the ticket as it's not on TK stock, and LM says they cannot find space on the original itinerary. I have suggested LM to drop the first segment and re-issue a new ticket for just IST-MRU but LM says they can't do this. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 7, 21, 11:10 am

Quick follow up to my previous post: I talked again to TK and the agent said they would only be able to make changes to the ticket within 24 hours of departure (including change of travel dates). This is, if I would like to travel tomorrow instead of December they would be able to change the ticket for tomorrow. I am aware airlines take control of ticket within 24h but I have never heard that they can take over the ticket if the passenger wants to travel the next day (even if the original travel date is months away). Does this sound correct?
Old Oct 17, 21, 7:47 pm

Another data point. I was booked on AC from SCL to DCA and they delayed the resumption of their SCL flight to January, 2022 which didn't work for me as I needed to return before Christmas, 2021. Called Avianca like the OP suggested, and they told me they can only reissue on the original airline. When I told them that was not acceptable, I was transferred to Lifemiles who basically told me the same thing. They told me my miles would be back in my account within 3 hours, and the taxes would take several weeks. I am out of pocket for the $25 partner booking fee as mentioned by the OP. Bottom line is, don't bother trying to change your ticket unless the partner you booked on has availability that is acceptable for you. Just cancel and rebook.
Old Oct 18, 21, 6:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have a similar issue to @Mister P. I used LifeMiles to book US-IST-AAA on Turkish Airlines for 3 pax. IST-AAA is now canceled, and I am trying to rebook on IST-BBB (AAA and BBB are in the same country and would thus allow us to salvage our trip). I even checked that there are 3 business-class award seats on IST-BBB at roughly the same time as our original flight. However, Avianca customer service is insisting that this change has to be done by TK. I've talked to four LifeMiles agents today, all of whom say that TK needs to update the itinerary with the new flight, and once that happens, AV will reissue it.

Meanwhile, the four TK agents I've spoken to all claim they can't touch the ticket — since it's on 202 ticket stock.

Is trying to make this change a lesson in futility? I would just cancel the flight and get the miles back to rebook, but the US-IST flight is showing I0, and since the flight's in December, I doubt the three seats would go back to TK's inventory to rebook from scratch. At this point I almost want to just cancel the short (now canceled) connection, at least keep the long-haul J flight, and then book IST-BBB separately.

It's just mind-boggling to me that what should be a simple update with Star Alliance partners — and with confirmed award availability no less! — has taken hours to try to fix, and still I have an unusable ticket.
Old Oct 19, 21, 2:19 am

Hi, I would try to keep the first segment of your itinerary as it is. You might need to ask LM to re-issue the ticket though with only US-IST, not entirely sure. Even if you can see availability for the second segment, LM agents seem to have their own criteria when searching for award space.
Old Oct 21, 21, 5:58 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Deemus7 View Post
I have a similar issue to @Mister P. I used LifeMiles to book US-IST-AAA on Turkish Airlines for 3 pax. IST-AAA is now canceled, and I am trying to rebook on IST-BBB (AAA and BBB are in the same country and would thus allow us to salvage our trip). I even checked that there are 3 business-class award seats on IST-BBB at roughly the same time as our original flight. However, Avianca customer service is insisting that this change has to be done by TK. I've talked to four LifeMiles agents today, all of whom say that TK needs to update the itinerary with the new flight, and once that happens, AV will reissue it.

Meanwhile, the four TK agents I've spoken to all claim they can't touch the ticket — since it's on 202 ticket stock.
Sorry for stating the obvious but you are in the common "catch-22" situation when cancellation or schedule changes occur to award tickets issued by others than the operating carrier.

You need AV/LM to rebook you to the new itinerary. Should def. be possible if award seats are available for the new flight.

TK can't and will refuse to touch award tickets of other carriers, even if TK is at fault.
Old Oct 24, 21, 4:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, Bamboo First, AF Elite+, AV Diamond, A3 G
Originally Posted by Mister P. View Post
Quick follow up to my previous post: I talked again to TK and the agent said they would only be able to make changes to the ticket within 24 hours of departure (including change of travel dates). This is, if I would like to travel tomorrow instead of December they would be able to change the ticket for tomorrow. I am aware airlines take control of ticket within 24h but I have never heard that they can take over the ticket if the passenger wants to travel the next day (even if the original travel date is months away). Does this sound correct?
I am 100% confident TK isnt going to touch it and rebook you to tomorrow. TK is one of the worst airlines at ticket ownership or generally staff helping on partner redemptions, so NO, i would not go down this road!
Old Oct 27, 21, 12:52 pm

Had to deal with this issue just now:

Booked EWR-ORD round trip, same day (departing first flight, returning last flight). All one ticket.

UA canceled the outbound. Was able to buy another ticket for outbound, but wanted to keep the return. After VERY long phone conversation with UA, they were able to remove outbound segment of the ticket, and leave the return (so wasn’t marked as no-show). Called LM and after one hour, got an agent who was able to reissue just that return ticket.

I asked if I can receive refund for the canceled outbound, LM says they only issue refunds on whole ticket (not partial). Will email support just to see if they can do it.

Lessons learned: LM can reissue tickets if partner airlines put segments in there, it does require HUCA, and it can be done, but be prepared for some long phone conversations and repeating the same things to different reps. Going forward, I plan to book such tickets as two one-ways to avoid any issues.

United could’ve reissued the ticket I think (they have in the past with AC/TK tickets in similar irrops situation), but several agents refused to reissue because it was partner ticket.

I really wish there was a general star alliance award office for such scenarios. Can only go around in circles so many times before just giving up, which is really unfair because it’s involuntary
Old Oct 28, 21, 5:34 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Stuff like this is why some folks have a tendency to book two one ways vs. one roundtrip though it comes with the downside of two booking fees (2 x 25$) and in a worst case - if not waived - also with two cancellation fees (2 x 200$) which can hurt with LM. Now I would probably rather do that for international premium cabin long-haul versus a EWR-ORD-EWR hop back and forth, but the principle still holds. The outbound won't impact the inbound, but alas it all depends. YMMV.
wpcoe likes this.

Search this Thread