FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Want to purchase Platinum status
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:58 pm
skywalkerLAX
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Centurion
Centurion just get Gold which anyone can get easily. Amex Centurion seems to think their Centurion customers are idiots in my opinion. Amex has been in denial ever since CEO Kenneth had a team of his lower level employees fly to Costco in advance of his arrival like he was royalty. Amex will have hard time fighting the image when Centurion is known to be card for idiots with money.
I don't think that's a problem Amex will have anytime soon. It actually sounds like they achieved exactly what their intent was - they priced you (and many others) out of the Centurion product. We can speculate about whatever their motivation for this is and what their data about spending of various demographics shows. In Germany they just sent out emails now offering "Centurion Art Cards" that look hilarious.

FWIW I totally agree that the price/service of the Centurion product in many markets including the U.S., Germany etc is out of whack nowadays. They also stopped giving Cathay Pacific Diamond. If you're looking for squeezing value then Centurion isn't the card to have anymore. Platinum is the sweet spot.

Marriott Gold for a Premium Card such as this is almost an insult given that there are three level above that in the Bonvoy food chain.