Wiki Posts
Search

Want to purchase Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum (lifetime Gold), Southwest
Want to purchase Platinum status

I currently am Gold and would like to be Platinum. Is there a way to purchase Platinum status using either money or points. I could not find anything on that using google. Also, am I correct that it would last through 2022? Thanks in advance!

-wahoohfd
Old Feb 21, 2021, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Charging 75k per year on either the Ritz Carlton card (discontinued to new applicants) or the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant card will get you Platinum status.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by wahoohfd
I currently am Gold and would like to be Platinum. Is there a way to purchase Platinum status using either money or points. I could not find anything on that using google. Also, am I correct that it would last through 2022? Thanks in advance!

-wahoohfd
Having a business and personal credit card will get you most of the way there for as little as $125(Bonvoy Business and Bonvoy Bold).
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CaptJOB
Having a business and personal credit card will get you most of the way there for as little as $125(Bonvoy Business and Bonvoy Bold).
Current double elite night credit promotion further reduces number of nights by 2.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CaptJOB
Originally Posted by CIT85
Current double elite night credit promotion further reduces number of nights by 2.
+1
After the cards you will need only 20 nights, which you can do by staying in a cheap hotel (if any clos near where you are) for 10 nights.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
If you are currently gold, you might have received the marriott Goodwill bonus, which I believe is 13 nights for gold without staying. Get the credit cards would give you Plus the 15 nights on Bonvoy Business and the 15 nights on Bonvoy Bold. You're at 43 nights at that point. If you stay during the promotion period 4 times, you'll be at platinum.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
If you are currently gold, you might have received the marriott Goodwill bonus, which I believe is 13 nights for gold without staying. Get the credit cards would give you Plus the 15 nights on Bonvoy Business and the 15 nights on Bonvoy Bold. You're at 43 nights at that point. If you stay during the promotion period 4 times, you'll be at platinum.
You have to stay just twice for 2 night @ or once for 4 nights to get there with your example. 4 single nights (or 3 nights + 1 night) won't work because the promo is only for stays of 2 nights or more.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the AmEx Centurion card give Bonvoy Plat? It used to be good for SPG PlatMinus (and long ago the same was true for the regular AmEx Plat charge card).
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:21 pm

It would help to know why you want to do this? Is it because you want to take advantage of perks for a big trip? Might be worth just paying for whatever you are focused on (pay for breakfast, book a suite, etc.) vs the incremental cost and hassle of getting platinum for one or two trips. If you are expecting to start travelling a lot and don't want to build up status from scratch, look into status challenges where they will provide you with an "advance" on status for say 90 days that then gets locked in once you meet a certain threshold.
Condition One likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:50 pm

Centurion just get Gold which anyone can get easily. Amex Centurion seems to think their Centurion customers are idiots in my opinion. Amex has been in denial ever since CEO Kenneth had a team of his lower level employees fly to Costco in advance of his arrival like he was royalty. Amex will have hard time fighting the image when Centurion is known to be card for idiots with money.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does the AmEx Centurion card give Bonvoy Plat? It used to be good for SPG PlatMinus (and long ago the same was true for the regular AmEx Plat charge card).
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum (lifetime Gold), Southwest
I want to do this for the lounge access/ breakfast, but also because I have 8 years at Platinum and I just need 2 more for lifetime Platinum...
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I want to do this for the lounge access/ breakfast, but also because I have 8 years at Platinum and I just need 2 more for lifetime Platinum...
How many lifetime nights do you have?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
In that case card strategy (30 nights) + double nights promo is your best bet to get to LTP.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC

-wahoohfd
Well, just book the cheapest Marriott near you either on points or for cash. If you use points make sure you add at least one paid night to the same reservation to ping the double nights promotion.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Centurion
Centurion just get Gold which anyone can get easily. Amex Centurion seems to think their Centurion customers are idiots in my opinion. Amex has been in denial ever since CEO Kenneth had a team of his lower level employees fly to Costco in advance of his arrival like he was royalty. Amex will have hard time fighting the image when Centurion is known to be card for idiots with money.
I don't think that's a problem Amex will have anytime soon. It actually sounds like they achieved exactly what their intent was - they priced you (and many others) out of the Centurion product. We can speculate about whatever their motivation for this is and what their data about spending of various demographics shows. In Germany they just sent out emails now offering "Centurion Art Cards" that look hilarious.

FWIW I totally agree that the price/service of the Centurion product in many markets including the U.S., Germany etc is out of whack nowadays. They also stopped giving Cathay Pacific Diamond. If you're looking for squeezing value then Centurion isn't the card to have anymore. Platinum is the sweet spot.

Marriott Gold for a Premium Card such as this is almost an insult given that there are three level above that in the Bonvoy food chain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.