FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Searching for Snow: Skiing in Colorado Again and Again
Old Feb 9, 2021, 7:25 pm
wakesetter93

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
River Mountain Lodge: Breckenridge

For our one night stay in Breckenridge, we decided to stay at the River Mountain Lodge, which is conveniently located right across the street from the Four O’Clock to Town ski run. The lodge operates as a semi-hotel, with all of the units/rooms being individually owned but rented out to visitors and, unlike a typical AirBNB or VRBO, they have a centralized front desk and use keycard access.

The lobby had a small restaurant (closed due to Covid), a reception area, and a meeting room that had been converted into ski storage for the guests.

For our stay, we had reserved the “studio” portion of a three bedroom condo on the second floor. The studio gave us the kitchen, living and dining areas along with a full bathroom. The three bedrooms were blocked off for our stay, presumably rented to other groups as they all had hall access. Our bed was a Murphy bed type which was more than sufficient for our one night in town.

The room overlooked the interior of the lodge grounds, facing the pool area.

Because of Covid, all of the lodge amenities were by reservation only. We managed to grab a 30 minute hot tub booking shortly after our arrival to relax our muscles from a long day on the mountain.

After changing out of our ski gear and a hot shower, we headed over to Main Street to meet up with some friends for dinner at Rootstalk. It was a quick walk along the path from the lodge over to the restaurant where we were had reservations in advance and were seated almost immediately.

We started with cocktails and ordered some mussels and spinach and artichoke dip while we looked over the menu. I started with The Brakeman before switching over to a Buffalo Trace as I wasn’t a fan of the sweetness of the first beverage. This led to one of the strangest interactions I’ve had with a restaurant server. When I ordered the Buffalo Trace on the rocks, she asked if I wanted to keep the same glass my first drink had come in. When I said no, she told me that she would have to charge me an extra dollar for the ice block in the new drink (even though they had regular ice and I hadn’t requested it). I told her that was fine and she brought the drink with no further questions and the extra $1 wasn’t on the bill. Minor in the grand scheme of things but still odd.

For my main I went with the sea scallops which were out of this world. After dinner, we made the short trip back to the lodge and called it a night, as we had another big day of skiing ahead of us.