FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Searching for Snow: Skiing in Colorado Again and Again
Old Feb 9, 2021, 10:57 am
wakesetter93

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Breckenridge: Day 1

Our alarm went off bright and early at 5:00a, we both had a couple cups of coffee while getting ready and after loading our skis and gear into the car we were on US 6 headed towards the mountains by 5:45a. As the locals say, you have to be on 6 by 6 if you have any hope of beating the traffic up to the mountains. We met up with our friends from dinner at the I-70 merge and convoyed over to Frisco. The road was clear all the way up to the Eisenhower Tunnel and while we hit some traffic and snow flurries on the West side of the Continental Divide we still made it to Frisco in a little over an hour. We stopped at the Safeway to grab some snacks before heading into Breckenridge.

Our hotel, which is located at the end of the Four O’Clock to Town ski run, allowed us to park for the day before our check in. With first chair not until 8:30, we moved our gear to our friends car and headed into town to grab breakfast.

We stopped at the Cool River Coffee House for some breakfast sandwiches and coffee before heading for the mountain. With full, warm bellies we drove up to the Beaver Run parking lot, located right next to the Quicksilver Superchair. With it being Breckenridge, you’re sure to see some eye-catching vehicles in the parking lot.

After putting on our gear and skis, we managed to be on first chair up the mountain for our day of skiing.

I bet this thing would be fun in the snow

Once up on the mountain, I was pretty surprised by the lack of snowfall. Everyone we had spoken with said that the mountain was low on base, but I was surprised by how low it was in late January. For those of you familiar with Breck, all of Peak 6 and the south side of Peak 9 were closed during our trip. Many of the runs had rocks and sticks poking through the snow and there were a couple of moguls where you were just as likely to hit dirt as you were snow. However, we still managed to have a good time and thankfully had fairly short wait times for all of the lifts.

Because of Covid, all of the indoor seating in the lodges is by appointment only. You have a 45 minute window to eat and warm up before the next group is seated. With our reservation at the base of Peak 10, we spent most of the day on Peak 9 and 10. I found 9 to be the easiest to move around on because there are multiple lifts that will take you to the summit, as opposed to some of the others that only have one chair.

No eating or drinking inside without a reservation. The coffee cooled off quickly but the beer stayed nice and cold

We skied until about 3:30 when we split from our friends who headed back to Denver while we went to check in to our hotel. We were able to ski right up to the front door which was very convenient.