FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Searching for Snow: Skiing in Colorado Again and Again
Old Feb 9, 2021, 10:05 am
wakesetter93

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Off to Colorado: Breckenridge

With no meetings scheduled for Friday afternoon the GF and I left the house at 2:45 and we’re pulling up curbside at Love Field less that 15 minutes later. While I usually try and fly with only hand luggage, that wasn’t an option for this trip since we had all of our ski gear with us. We used the kiosk to check in and self tag our bags before heading through security which took less than a minute. While I’m not a regular WN flier I do love the efficiency and convenience of Love Field compared to DFW.

Once through security it was a quick walk to our departure gate. With only 15 minutes before boarding the GF popped into a store to grab a couple bottles of water and some snacks as WN has cut service back to a water cup and snack mix.

Southwest Airlines
WN 2713
DAL-DEN (Dallas Love Field - Denver International)
Seat: 16A (Economy)
B737-800 (N8602F)
Scheduled: 3:55p-5:00p
Actual: 3:50p-4:53p

Boarding went quickly and with the plane only about 2/3 full, everyone had a middle seat in their row. Boarding in the middle of the A group we managed to grab the best seat on the WN 738 with almost unlimited legroom. We pushed off the gate about 5 minutes early and after a short wait for arriving aircraft we took off to the Northwest. Once airborne I connected to the wifi to try and answer some last minute e-mails but it didn’t play nice with my VPN which made working painfully slow. Giving up on that idea I instead kicked back and watched some live TV and soon we were descending into DEN.

since we were cutting it close to get across town to pick up our skis before Colorado Sports Rent closed, the GF headed to baggage claim while I took the shuttle straight to National to pick up our rental car. Given the stories and my own personal experiences there I knew it could take some time to get a vehicle. When I arrived the Executive Aisle was packed with cars but they were all 2wd sedans. Given that we were headed up into the mountains I spoke with the lot attendant and eventually he agreed to let me take an AWD SUV as I was an EE. Just as I was getting in the car the GF showed up with our bags and we made the 30 minute drive over to CSR to pick up our skis.

Covid barrier?

GMC Terrain AWD

One of the stranger gear selectors I’ve seen in a while.

After getting our gear we dropped our skis at the house and took an Uber over to Tupelo Honey to meet some friends who we were going to be skiing with the next morning. After stuffing our faces on biscuits and fried fish we called it a night as we had a 5am wakeup to head up to Breck. Our Uber driver back home had a full on candy bag sitting on the center console and I may have helped myself to a couple of AirHeads for dessert.