FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When might DL engage a digital 'health' passport?
Old Jan 31, 2021, 4:55 pm
Biscoff27

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Xeno

I wish DL would engage a digital health app related to the pandemic as it is a headache to try to hold on to the vaccination card and printed proof of a negative COVID test. Is this a wasted hope? I have long depended on all kinds of digital passes in my iW and would have to relearn the value of paper documents.
I have seen a lot of discussion and social media posts about the CDC card handed out at vaccinations. Your vaccination should be officially recorded in an electronic medical record (EMR). The CDC card is supposed to help you remember when you received your shot, when to return, and to let medical professionals know what your first shot was, in case you go to different sites for your 1st and 2nd shots. Just like how a negative Covid test can be printed out from the EMR, so can your vaccination record.

I could be wrong, but I do not think vaccination status will have an affect on travel for a while. First, we know it is not 100% effective in preventing you from getting sick, let alone from asymptomatically carrying the virus. Second, I do not see vaccination status affect CDC guidelines until the vaccine is available to the entire US population. I know you did not mention this, but I have seen a lot of people question why a negative test is still needed for international travel if you have been vaccinated. I was fortunate to receive the vaccine already, but I know there is a lot of anxiety out there with people wondering when they can get theirs. The CDC is not going to make a rule saying I can freely travel from country to country, but another person will have to pay money to get a test because they have not been able to get a vaccine they really want ASAP. Once the vaccine is widely available, a majority of the population is vaccinated, and the case numbers go way down, I think vaccination status could be more relevant. But until that time, I do not see the CDC or airlines treating vaccinated individuals differently than anyone else.