FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA at Gatwick 2021
View Single Post
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:29 am
SpeedbirdLHR

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft

I doubt VS could turn a profit on it at LHR given BA can't. ACC already benefits from direct DL service to JFK so theres not even a connecting Atlantic traffic market for VS to secure - their major shareholder already has the direct monopoly. The only business is low yielding VFR traffic and a small business market. It would hardly seem worth VS's while unless there was a significant cargo uplift to warrant the effort and an air frame to serve it.
VS tried ACC around 2010. I can't recall if BA was daily to ACC at this time but at some stage, BA went from a few times a week on a B767 to a few times a week on a B777. The flight eventually went to daily, I believe first on a B777 before moving to the B747. As has been stated, the choice of aircraft is largely driven by the World Traveller capacity. For this reason, the A350 is currently operating, but as LGW 777s provides the right balance, therefore the proposed move of this service. Similarly, the ISB service is has a large World Traveller demand and as a result some LGW 777s moved to LHR to operate this service (and sometimes others such as HYD).