FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Retention Offers (2021-2023)
View Single Post
Old Jan 6, 2021, 9:40 pm
Biscoff27

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Jm0115
I have the MileagePlus Explorer Card. My AF posted on Jan 1. I am thinking of asking for a retention offer and then cancelling if not offered. I have Elite Status for 2021 so I don't need the benefits of the Explorer card such as boarding priority or free bags. Two questions: (1) If I say that I am thinking of cancelling and want a retention offer will I be able to cancel the cancellation if I decide not to proceed while on the phone (am I stuck with the cancellation if I just ask?). (2) Can I get this card again in the future (2022) if I cancel now? As my elite status lasts until Feb 2022.
1) The way I usually go about it is to say "I am thinking about cancelling but wanted to see what my options are," and ask whether there are downgrade options, how long I have to decide (both of which I usually know ahead of time), and whether there are any retention offers. You can still back out of the conversation if you want to think about it. Downgrading to the Gateway card is an option for you, and that would still give you access to the expanded award availability. My AF just posted, and was planning to downgrade to that if there is no retention offer.
2) You can sign up again (and be eligible for a sign up bonus) 24 months after you last received a bonus (not 24 months after you opened the card).