FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - End of an Era! (Closed Centurion card account.)
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:40 am
Visconti

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
It's possible the OP doesn't care, and, while it's nice to keep credit history for an old account, I am sure the OP has a long credit history anyway, with many other accounts. I doubt closing the Centurion is going to have much of am impact.
While I'm not the OP, this is how I see it. Amex is a serious company with many decades long cardmembers who are equally very serious people. When you have a mutual relationship for that long with the amount of dollars involved, the relationship must be based upon mutual respect, trust and reciprocity. Any ultimatum should never be made lightly and without purpose; and, if made, must be carried out should the other party decline. There's no room for duplicity in this kind of relastionship, such as the "let's call to cancel the card every year fishing for a bonus, but don't cancel if we don't get it" thing. Once a threat is made, there can be no question that it *will* be carried out if one's demands aren't met.

Just my take and speculation on why the OP may have simply cancled the card.