FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express Platinum: $30 PayPal Credit Per Month Until June 30
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:16 pm
diesteldorf

Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
I've never purchased anything using paypal. I assume it posts as "paypal" in some way so you cannot double dip (i.e. pay with PayPal from Saks and get the $50 refund as well)?
You're correct. It posts as Paypal, so it wouldn't trigger any Saks credits or many Amex offers that require you to buy directly from the merchant and not through a 3rd Party.
I don't know how Amex handles Paypal transactions when resolving a dispute.

One time I made a large purchase through a merchant using Paypal as the payment method. When I had an issue with the quality of the merchandise, I contacted the merchant and then the credit card company. Since the transaction was coded as Paypal, the credit card company said I needed to deal with Paypal. Eventually, everything was resolved, but it's why I typically don't use Paypal for large transactions or cases where I may want purchase protection/extended warranty coverage etc, since Paypal adds an extra layer as the middle man.

As someone that that doesn't use Paypal regularly, I would recommend buying from Target or Walmart for groceries/incidental items and use Paypal as the checkout method.
Most grocery items are small enough in value that Walmart/Target will just let you exchange the item if you have an issue and you aren't going to need extended warranty protection on a jar of pickles or peanut butter or a bunch of bananas