FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Time discrepancy in flight details
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:36 am
jrl767
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I'm speculating, but I would say that the programmer accidently encoded the arrival time to match the user's time zone instead of just leaving it alone.

In sites that operate across different time zones, it's customary to match the user's time zone using user location (via address if logged in or IP address if not). Programmers create a single function that can be used on any time throughout the website. When time is used, it pulls the time of the server and offsets it via that function.

Airlines websites add complexity because departure/arrival times are always listed in the local time zone of the airport. Again I'm guessing, but perhaps the programmers accidentally added the time zone offset function to the arrival time.

As random as that seems, it makes sense. Websites are often programmed using multiple computing languages. Some languages play well with some browsers and not with others.

Since Internet Explorer (IE) is not considered a "modern" browser, programmers will no longer check it to ensure it's presenting information correctly. Although, in this example, it's a little backwards. IE seems to be correct only because it's failing to properly work with whatever time zone function the programmers accidentally added to the arrival time.

(I hope that made sense.)
yes, but I'm using Chrome