Time discrepancy in flight details

Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Time discrepancy in flight details

Good day. I'm looking up flights and get the usual list of results.
When I click on Details for any flight the departure and arrival times are advanced 8 hours!
I'm in the UK, where there is a 8 hour time difference, but what is happening?!
Old Dec 29, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by chrismk
Good day. I'm looking up flights and get the usual list of results.
When I click on Details for any flight the departure and arrival times are advanced 8 hours!
I'm in the UK, where there is a 8 hour time difference, but what is happening?!
It may be easier if you can share an example for us to reference and provide feedback.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 11:53 am
Original Poster

PDX-DEN on 10 Aug next year, though it doesnt matter which flights/dates are entered.
The non stop 616 departs at 10.45am. When I click on details it says 6.45pm. Ive now just realised it is also saying 6.45 on the following day!
Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

But it doesnt do it when I use the App on my IPhone.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
That is usually a setting on your computer or phone that displays everything in local time. If I was more of a tech guy I would know how to change it, but I don't.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it would seem to be something on my computer.
I've cleared cookies and cache in the browser, but I've now noticed if I select a date and press submit at the beginning of the booking process, the results are for the previous day!
So at least when I click on details, the date is correct :-)
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
PDX-DEN on 10 Aug next year, though it doesnt matter which flights/dates are entered.
The non stop 616 departs at 10.45am. When I click on details it says 6.45pm. Ive now just realised it is also saying 6.45 on the following day!
I am not in either time zone, but by default the time should be based on the local time zone of origin and destination.

Old Dec 29, 2020, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The settings are tricky. If one is set to "local" but connecting via VPN, local may be the VPN not one's physical location.

I always set these manually.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I noted a similar discrepancy (3 hours) earlier this month, and it’s reappearing today (looking randomly at SEA<>LAX flights in mid May)
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
That is usually a setting on your computer or phone that displays everything in local time. If I was more of a tech guy I would know how to change it, but I don't.
its a web site thing..not your computer unless a setting is done

I dont get that when I book flights.

Ifi go and look at schedule of games on espn it adjusts to the time zone Im physically in via my connection
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I had a similar occurance with an itinerary in early November. I was in the Eastern Time Zone and flight times for segments in the PST were shown in EST instead of PST. I also had segments with Departure & Arrival times the same. It corrected itself.

James
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Search Criteria

Search Results

Flight Details

This is what is happening.
It has to be website related? I get these results in Firefox and Chrome on 3 different devices - 2 desktops (W10) and a laptop (W7).
BUT when I perform the search on the laptop using an old Internet Explorer it's fine!
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:38 am

I'm speculating, but I would say that the programmer accidently encoded the arrival time to match the user's time zone instead of just leaving it alone.

In sites that operate across different time zones, it's customary to match the user's time zone using user location (via address if logged in or IP address if not). Programmers create a single function that can be used on any time throughout the website. When time is used, it pulls the time of the server and offsets it via that function.

Airlines websites add complexity because departure/arrival times are always listed in the local time zone of the airport. Again I'm guessing, but perhaps the programmers accidentally added the time zone offset function to the arrival time.

It has to be website related? I get these results in Firefox and Chrome on 3 different devices - 2 desktops (W10) and a laptop (W7).
BUT when I perform the search on the laptop using an old Internet Explorer it's fine!
As random as that seems, it makes sense. Websites are often programmed using multiple computing languages. Some languages play well with some browsers and not with others.

Since Internet Explorer (IE) is not considered a "modern" browser, programmers will no longer check it to ensure it's presenting information correctly. Although, in this example, it's a little backwards. IE seems to be correct only because it's failing to properly work with whatever time zone function the programmers accidentally added to the arrival time.

(I hope that made sense.)
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:47 am
Original Poster

It did!
Mind you, when I was looking for flights earlier in the year I didn't experience this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I'm speculating, but I would say that the programmer accidently encoded the arrival time to match the user's time zone instead of just leaving it alone.

In sites that operate across different time zones, it's customary to match the user's time zone using user location (via address if logged in or IP address if not). Programmers create a single function that can be used on any time throughout the website. When time is used, it pulls the time of the server and offsets it via that function.

Airlines websites add complexity because departure/arrival times are always listed in the local time zone of the airport. Again I'm guessing, but perhaps the programmers accidentally added the time zone offset function to the arrival time.

As random as that seems, it makes sense. Websites are often programmed using multiple computing languages. Some languages play well with some browsers and not with others.

Since Internet Explorer (IE) is not considered a "modern" browser, programmers will no longer check it to ensure it's presenting information correctly. Although, in this example, it's a little backwards. IE seems to be correct only because it's failing to properly work with whatever time zone function the programmers accidentally added to the arrival time.

(I hope that made sense.)
yes, but I'm using Chrome

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.