FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Boston/Dedham {US-MA}
View Single Post
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:22 am
wsbombers

I don't know if the hotel's gone down hill since last year. I stayed their last weekend and would not recommend the place.

The staff at check-in was courteous. We checked in late and were put in a room by the ice machine. While it made some noise, we felt it was bearable, so we didn't move. That turned out to be a mistake, because each morning, at around 6AM, there were kids running around the hallway screaming. While this was not in large part the hotel's fault, I wanted to mention it to give an indication of the state of mind I was in for the stay. I sometimes wonder why hotels do not do more to put couples without children in different parts of the hotel than they put people with children.

The first major concern I had with the hotel was the accomodations. The bed was soft and the pillows were hard. It was impossible to get a good night's sleep. Also, the room was too dark.

A second concern had to do with cleanliness. When we arrived, there was used soap and shampoo in the shower. We believe the bathroom was cleaned at least somewhat, because there were folded towels, but we were not 100% certain of that. Our room was made up both evenings we stayed there. Others we spoke to did not have the same experience.

The third concern was the service. Eating at the hotel required a two hour commitment. The restaurant was understaffed. Consequently, service was very slow. The slow service extended to room service. We made a food order the night before for an 8 AM meal. We indicated we needed the food then, because we had to be out of the hotel by 9. After we called to complain twice, the food finally arrived at 8:45. We refused to pay for it. On the positive side, the hotel did not fight us on that.

The only other positive I would add is that the hotel had free wi-fi. While the hotel was not horrible, it certainly wasn't what I would expect from a Hilton. I think the lack of competition in the area has led to a decline in service. We had to be in Dedham. Boston is just far enough away to make it inconvenient for that. If I can avoid it, I will not stay at this property again, though.