Hilton Boston/Dedham {US-MA}

Old Jul 24, 03, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Boston/Dedham {US-MA}

I did a search and the results are quite limited. Anyone have any experience with this property? What did you think of it? Do they have an exec. lounge? How do they treat Diamonds?
Old Jul 24, 03, 1:59 pm

Can't really answer your questions, except to say that I was there about a year ago, and it was decent enough then. They were starting a rehab which I assume would be finished by now. They had displays of the new furnishings which looked very nice.
Old Jul 24, 03, 3:30 pm

Stayed there about 2 years ago for a while ( few weeks).
It a nice Hilton, quite old in appearence and setup but if it's been renovated it should be better.
It has a great sports club inside with raquetball courts and a very nice gym.

There is no exec level or lounge. Breakfast is quite good. There are a few suites with large balconies that are pretty nice and are the most you will get as a diamond.

As far as location - it is pretty far from anything but has a metro train station within walking distance (train runs every 2 hours or so) and an Amtrak station within 2 miles.
Old Jul 24, 03, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, UA1k/GS, AA Plat, HHonors Gold, *wood Plat
I was there about 2 months ago for 3 days. The property is kind of old and has an odd lay out. The rooms were somewhat substandard in my opinion, but the gym was above average in terms of the equipment.
Old Jul 24, 03, 4:26 pm

For the same or less money you can stay at far finer hotels in downtown Boston. Do you need to be near Dedham, MA?

For example, Nine Zero is a luxury hotel in Downtown, that has been offering rates as low as $135/nt when booking direct with them or through various websites ( www.ninezero.com ). A check of expedia or another booking service will yield some unheard of rates for summer in Boston - evidence of a very soft hotel market.
Old Jul 24, 03, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I need to be near Dedham, that's why I chose this hotel, and to get stay credit and points and whatever perks come with being Diamond. I've got a reservation for $89 a night. It sounds like the hotel has a nice gym. Too bad about no exec. lounge. Hopefully as a Diamond I'll get a decent room. Thanks again.
Old Jul 24, 03, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

You will think I am absolutely crazy, hhonorman, but before Hilton bought all the Promus hotels (including Hampton Inn) and after Marriott sold the Andover property to Wyndham, I used to stay at the Hilton Dedham to do business in Wilmington (the Ballardvale Street exit off Interstate 93). The commute actually was not that horrible on Interstate 95 (okay, 128), to my surprise.

Why Hilton Dedham? Because it was the least-expensive Hilton in the Boston area at the time, although I rarely got a rate less than $100.00.

As a Hilton HHonors Diamond member, I never received any room better than a standard room, although the rooms I usually got faced the rear of the hotel, which have a pleasant view of the woods behind this property. There is no Executive Lounge.

I agree with virtually all of the comments in the previous posts in this thread. Breakfast is great, and there is usually a space very close by in the parking garage (Caution: watch your step on the concrete steps down to the garage in the winter, as they tend to be icy!), which is convenient when it it cold, raining or snowing.

This property is nothing spectacular, but I have always found it clean and comfortable. The fireplace in the lobby is a nice touch in the winter. Go ahead and book your reservation if you will be in the Dedham area.
Old Jul 25, 03, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks Canarsie.
Old Jul 25, 03, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Pronounciation for Dedham: Dead Ham
Old Jul 25, 03, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

I have always pronounced it Dead-um.
Old Aug 3, 03, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Hilton Boston/Dedham

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hilton Boston/Dedham

25 Allied Drive Dedham, MA US 02026-6147

Hilton Boston Deadham (0 Photo)

Hilton Boston/Dedham

I just returned from a stay at this hotel and thought I'd post my experience and review here for others' future reference.

Check In

I arrived at the hotel around 8pm on a Saturday evening. Parking was free in their covered garage. There was no line at check-in and I was immediately greeted by two very friendly front desk clerks. They asked my last name and by the time I had handed them my Diamond card, they had already pulled up my reservation. They informed me that my hhonors number and ff# were already in their system. I was informed they had upgraded me to a suite (I hadn't even had a chance to inquire about the possibility of an upgrade before I was told I had been given a suite) and had my breakfast coupons for the full american buffet already in the roomkey jacket. I was quite impressed with their service, as I had read about some so-so stays others have had at this hotel, my expectations were not too high. So far, this was shaping up to be a great stay. It soon got even better. They informed me that I was staying in the newly remodeled Rhode Island suite, and since I would be the first guest to stay in the room since the remodeling, they were very much interested in my feedback. Now I was very happy. In all my years of travel, I have never been the first guest to use a room before.

Room

I walked down the hallway to my lobby level suite. The suite had french doors and upon entering the room it became immediately apparent that it was huge. Although not technically a suite because it was just one room, it was enormous. Out of curiosity my wife paced off how long the room was, about 25 feet more or less, and about 18 feet wide. The room was so big it felt like there was a dance floor in the middle. There was a halfwall that was about 4 feet in from the entry way on one side of the room. It comprised a wet bar area and closet. The room was obviously remodeled as the new carpet smell was evident, and everything looked great. It was nice to see an unused bedspread for a change. In the comment section of the reservation I asked for feather pillows if available, and a very quiet room. The bed had not 2, not 4, but 6 huge feather pillows on it.The suite was located along a hallway of conference rooms and there was a garden area outside the windows, so it appeared that it was in a very quiet area. Again. It was a rather odd layout to the room though. The bedroom/sitting area was like a dance hall, but the bathroom was the size of a postage stamp and not even large enough for two people to stand in at the same time. I wondered why they didn't take some of the excess space from the bedroom and make the bathroom a more manageable size.

Dining

After a quick unpack, we went to the lobby and inquired about any good local places to eat. Both clerks simultaneously blurted out Vinny Testa's which was about five minutes away by car. Vinny Testa's wasn't bad, the service was good, the portions were gargantuan, the prices were inexpensive, but the quality of the italian food was not as good as the north end in Boston. All in all, not a bad meal. Then we headed back to the hotel.

Service

This is where the stay started going badly. Upon re-entering the room, I went to put out the do not disturb sign, but could not find one anywhere in the room. I didn't think it was worth bothering the front desk for such a trivial thing, so I took a piece of notepaper and made my own do not disturb sign. I noticed at this point that there was no waste paper basket near the desk. Again, a trivial thing and not worth complaining about, but a minor inconvenience nevertheless. We watched tv for an hour or so then decided to read before going to bed. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever had at a hilton. Neither bedside light had a bulb, so I went around the room looking to borrow one from one of the many floor lamps. To my chagrin, many of the lamps were missing bulbs, the room was short about 6 light bulbs. I didn't feel like bothering the front desk about this at that point in time since I was able to swap two light bulbs for the bed side tables. I did plan on mentioning it to the front desk at check-out so they could fix the problem. Shortly after midnight, we were suddenly awoken by the blaring of the clock radio. I hate when other guests booby trap the clock, and as an experienced traveler, I should have checked before hand. It occurred to me that since we were the first guests to stay here since remodeling, maybe it was the maid or one of the construction crew guys playing a prank. I wasn't too happy, but again not that big a deal worth complaining about. At 2:30 a.m. we were awoken again frequently for the next hour or so with loud revelers passing by in the hallway. A bit frustrating since I had asked for a quiet room. Because the noise of the crowd would go about as quickly as it came, it also didn't seem worth complaining about. What would they have been able to do anyway, I thought. When we got up in the morning was when we realized that things were really not good. We neglected to inspect the bathroom completely the night before. Our shower had no shower head, it was just a pipe, and there were 4 holes in the wall where the large towels were supposed to be hanging. All we had were three hand towels and a few washcloths. The shower blasted water out of the pipe so hard that even with the curtain closed, some water splashed on the floor. I called the front desk who transferred me to guest services. Everyone was very nice and extremely apologetic. They offered to switch us to another room to take a shower, but we were a bit tight on time so I decided to stay put, make due with the firehose-like pipe, and suggested they just send a few towels to the room. The towels came immediately. We managed as best we could with the shower and headed off for a quick breakfast. Breakfast in the restaurant was a buffet, and service was quite good. The food included hot and cold items, pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausages, home fries, make your own waffles, fruit, toast, etc. The quality of the eggs was bad, they looked like a brick of eggs, but everything else was decent.

Overall

Upon checkout, they were apologetic and very nice and offered to take $20 off the bill which seemed quite reasonable to me. All in all, I'd go back to this hotel. Sure their quality control could use a little tweaking, but what faults they have are more than compensated for by their great attitude and excellent service. My only regret is that I didn't get to the hotel early enough to use the work-out room and pool. They both looked nice. My originally quoted rate was $89, so with the $20 they took off, it was a tremendous deal, especially considering the Hampton Inn down the road in Braintree was well over $100. I can definitely recommend this hotel.

Hilton Boston Deadham

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Boston/Dedham?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 3, 03, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hhonorman:
At 2:30 a.m. we were awoken again frequently for the next hour or so with loud revelers passing by in the hallway. A bit frustrating since I had asked for a quiet room. Because the noise of the crowd would go about as quickly as it came, it also didn't seem worth complaining about.
[This message has been edited by hhonorman (edited 08-03-2003).]
</font>
The revelers were no doubt returning from that evening's Bruce Springsteen concert at (relatively) nearby Gilette Stadium.

http://www.asbury-park.de/010803.html

And it's pronunced "Ded'm".
Old Oct 11, 04, 11:22 am

I don't know if the hotel's gone down hill since last year. I stayed their last weekend and would not recommend the place.

The staff at check-in was courteous. We checked in late and were put in a room by the ice machine. While it made some noise, we felt it was bearable, so we didn't move. That turned out to be a mistake, because each morning, at around 6AM, there were kids running around the hallway screaming. While this was not in large part the hotel's fault, I wanted to mention it to give an indication of the state of mind I was in for the stay. I sometimes wonder why hotels do not do more to put couples without children in different parts of the hotel than they put people with children.

The first major concern I had with the hotel was the accomodations. The bed was soft and the pillows were hard. It was impossible to get a good night's sleep. Also, the room was too dark.

A second concern had to do with cleanliness. When we arrived, there was used soap and shampoo in the shower. We believe the bathroom was cleaned at least somewhat, because there were folded towels, but we were not 100% certain of that. Our room was made up both evenings we stayed there. Others we spoke to did not have the same experience.

The third concern was the service. Eating at the hotel required a two hour commitment. The restaurant was understaffed. Consequently, service was very slow. The slow service extended to room service. We made a food order the night before for an 8 AM meal. We indicated we needed the food then, because we had to be out of the hotel by 9. After we called to complain twice, the food finally arrived at 8:45. We refused to pay for it. On the positive side, the hotel did not fight us on that.

The only other positive I would add is that the hotel had free wi-fi. While the hotel was not horrible, it certainly wasn't what I would expect from a Hilton. I think the lack of competition in the area has led to a decline in service. We had to be in Dedham. Boston is just far enough away to make it inconvenient for that. If I can avoid it, I will not stay at this property again, though.
Old Nov 16, 04, 11:58 am

dedham hilton

Just stayed over the past saturday at this property, just a quick trip report:

Pricelined the hotel for $55, $68 after taxes, so my status (measly gold) didn't apply. Note my priceline bids for $45 and $50 were unsuccessful...

Pros:

- very friendly and courteous staff. I did not feel any less well-treated just b/c I booked via priceline
- free, ample parking in a covered lot
- nearness to I-95

Cons:
- rooms are smallish, also one light bulb in my bed lamp was broken
- wi-fi is no longer free as one of the previous reports here mentioned. This to me is a big negative. Cost is $10 IIRC, there's also a very small "business center" (basically a tiny room with a printer) where one can get access by the minute.
- breakfast in hotel is expensive without the coupons that come with status

I thought the property itself was clean and elegant, not exactly the Waldorf Astoria but for a hotel you can priceline for ~$55, it's a property I'd stay again at.

Originally Posted by wsbombers
I don't know if the hotel's gone down hill since last year. I stayed their last weekend and would not recommend the place.

The staff at check-in was courteous. We checked in late and were put in a room by the ice machine. While it made some noise, we felt it was bearable, so we didn't move. That turned out to be a mistake, because each morning, at around 6AM, there were kids running around the hallway screaming. While this was not in large part the hotel's fault, I wanted to mention it to give an indication of the state of mind I was in for the stay. I sometimes wonder why hotels do not do more to put couples without children in different parts of the hotel than they put people with children.

The first major concern I had with the hotel was the accomodations. The bed was soft and the pillows were hard. It was impossible to get a good night's sleep. Also, the room was too dark.

A second concern had to do with cleanliness. When we arrived, there was used soap and shampoo in the shower. We believe the bathroom was cleaned at least somewhat, because there were folded towels, but we were not 100% certain of that. Our room was made up both evenings we stayed there. Others we spoke to did not have the same experience.

The third concern was the service. Eating at the hotel required a two hour commitment. The restaurant was understaffed. Consequently, service was very slow. The slow service extended to room service. We made a food order the night before for an 8 AM meal. We indicated we needed the food then, because we had to be out of the hotel by 9. After we called to complain twice, the food finally arrived at 8:45. We refused to pay for it. On the positive side, the hotel did not fight us on that.

The only other positive I would add is that the hotel had free wi-fi. While the hotel was not horrible, it certainly wasn't what I would expect from a Hilton. I think the lack of competition in the area has led to a decline in service. We had to be in Dedham. Boston is just far enough away to make it inconvenient for that. If I can avoid it, I will not stay at this property again, though.
Old Nov 16, 04, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G, HH Dia, MR Platinum, IHG Amb/Plat, Hyatt Exp
Nice Place

Had a pleasant stay here as HH Diamond in October, paying a low Sunday night rate booked 2 months ahead. Quiet, modern room on 4th floor with high ceiling at one end. Contemporary furniture. Outside, view of conservation land with leaves turning, and tennis courts. Low-cost internet at business center open 24 hours (at least during my stay). EXCELLENT buffet breakfast with regional specialties, great service. Very congenial front desk staff. Picked up by hotel's courtesy shuttle van waiting at Route 128 Amtrak station when I arrived.

Search this Thread