FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Redesigned USA-issued Amex Platinum card (December 2020)
Old Dec 28, 2020, 9:05 pm
ggonzaga

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Gig103
As more reports come in, I will be wondering about the feel and composition. I still have not ordered a Contactless version because I read they had to change the metal they use to accommodate the RFID. besides, it's a perks card not a daily spender for me.
​​​​
Not sure about the metal being different but the contactless version of the card just had a plastic layer in the back side to allow for NFC. The card was a bit lighter than the full metal version and because of the plastic layer in the back it made a slightly different noise when dropped. I’ve handled the Germany issued Amex Platinum that looks just like the new US issue version. From my recollection it looks to be the exact same composition as the US contactless card. They’re both contactless and produced with that same layer. I do think the only thing that changed was the design, not so much the materials. Will report back when I receive my cards.