FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Swearing and Yelling in CRC
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2004, 11:18 pm
Flying_Duck

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by BViPeR04
I saw in the news recently that there's some kind of box being tested in planes that will prevent cell phone signals from interfering with the planes instruments, thus enabling the use of cell phones inflight..they expect it to be mainstream in the next 3 or 4 years I think.. God help us all.....
I think that is a misunderstanding as if cell phone signals interfered with the navigation systems we all would have ended up in in some other city than what we were destined for as I will wager, that on any given full flight, at least a dozen cell phones remain "on" accidentially or otherwise!!

Rather, the problem appears to be interference with on-the-ground cells which are not designed to keep track of a fast moving phone at 30,000 feet, a problem that apparently is fixable as that is the basis for the trials of using cell phones in-flight.

I agree that heaven help us if that becomes legit as one can only with horror imagine people trying to yell on top of each other and the likely coming and going of signal strength.

However, if polls stand to reason, this is an enahncement "we" Asked For