FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When does AA pay / reimburse lodging / hotel in misconnects / OSO / IROPS (“IRROPS”)?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:45 am
metallo

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fotographer
. .. the few times I have been offered a hotel.. I am so tired by then anyway.. all I want is a place to sleep and shower... BA many times with them.. usually offer hotels around LHR.. again its a place to shower and sleep
If you're literally showering, sleeping, and grabbing the first flight out in the morning, perhaps virtually anywhere is fine.

On the other hand, my most recent DFW misadventure in 2019 resulted in being denied boarding on an INTL flight (long story for another day), leaving the airport at 10 PM and not leaving on my re-booked flight until 4 PM the next day. I booked the Grand Hyatt and arrived in time to grab a nice dinner in their restaurant, followed by enjoying the rooftop pool and gym while waiting for my flight the next day.

Certainly not all IROPS hotels are created equal, so depending on the circumstances, it can be worth trying to avoid the potential of a faraway 2 star airline hotel. As above, though, don't count on AA to put you in the Grand Hyatt, even if you're a CK.