FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When does AA pay / reimburse lodging / hotel in misconnects / OSO / IROPS (“IRROPS”)?
Old Dec 22, 2020, 10:33 pm
jcatman

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
I pay for every single airline ticket with a credit card that offers reimbursement for situations exactly like yours. Usually, the Chase Sapphire Reserve for personal travel, or the Chase Ink Business Preferred for business travel.

That way, I select the hotel and don't care what agreements the airline may have with "value priced" area hotels. One time, after a flight at LAX went sideways, American shuttled us down to Long Beach for an overnight stay at a tired Courtyard. Of course, the Super Shuttle stopped five times before our particular hotel. Shoot me. At hotel check-in, the front desk agent did not want to provide free breakfast to a Bonvoy Platinum member because we were there on an AA voucher. Thankfully, we negotiated free breakfast for the stay.

In your particular situation, you found an onsite airport hotel at a reasonable cost. Even if you can't get reimbursement from your credit card company, you likely made out better than most. Some hotels provided by an airline during IRROPS don't want to provide any elite benefits. Plus, you did not have to deal with vouchers, shuttles, etc.

With IRROPS, I also learned to not take the first flight out the next morning. You always end up getting to your hotel room late at night, and I hate getting up at the crack of dawn to catch that 7am flight. Slow down...relax....try to make the IRROPS a mini rest stop. Work will be waiting for you when you eventually get to your destination.