FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cheapest way to extend choice points expiration
Old Dec 21, 2020, 7:54 am
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tboons
Hi,

my expiry date is 07/01/2021

is it 1st July or 7th of Jan 2021?
What is your location? If USA, then the date is July 1, 2021 (the US site uses the format: MM/DD/YYYY). I don't know if Choice has different websites for different countries (some hotel/airline sites are given custom makeovers for each country, but I'm US based so I don't know whether they follow along), but if so, it's possible that you would have an expiration date of January 7. 2021 (format: DD/MM/YYYY).

Choice, as are many other hotel/airline programs, is extending expiration dates for status members, but it appears that this policy does not extend to all members, such as those who have earned points but haven't reached one of their status tiers. Take a look at your activity list--in normal, non-covid times, there must be point activity (either earning or redemption) every 18 months to keep your account alive. If your last activity was in the June/July 2019 timeframe and you don't qualify for an extension by status, your expiration would be around January 2021. If your last activity was in the January 2020 timeframe and you don't qualify for an extension by status, your expiration should be July 1, 2021.

If you do qualify for one of Choice's status tiers, you should be getting a message shortly--I already have--that indicates that there is an extension of the activity deadline through December 31, 2021.