Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to extend choice points expiration

Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Choice points expire after 18 months of inactivity. The Choice FAQ lists ways to extend the expiration date:Activities that do not officially extend the expiration date but are confirmed as working.
  • Dining "Eat and Earn" (confirmed working)
  • e-Rewards (confirmed)
  • Transfer from Amex Membership Rewards to Choice (confirmed working 3/2023, despite terms)
  • Transfer from Citi Thank You points to Choice (confirmed working)
Activities that do not officially extend the expiration date. Unknown if they actually work. Please post if you find otherwise:
  • Car rental: Avis or Budget
  • Cruise booking
  • Golf equipment rental, tee times, and apps
  • Transfer from Capital One points to Choice (probably works but unconfirmed)
  • Transfer from Radisson Americas to Choice?
  • Vinesse
Does not work, confirmed:
  • Redeeming a cash+points stay and then cancelling to effectively "buy" points
  • Choice Shopping Mall, 1800Baskets, 1800Flowers, and Quicken Loans programs are discontinued
Other notes:
  • You can redeem points for an award dated past your points expiration. If you cancel though, expect to lose points.
  • Radisson Americas has a 24-month expiration policy.
  • Choice earning page
Print Wikipost

Cheapest way to extend choice points expiration

Old Dec 16, 2020, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Roger Young
Thanks for clearing that up. I agree with you.
So, it looks like the 2 fastest ways to extend the date is to either donate 1000 points or buy 1000 points. Or if you have like 2 months or more maybe the shopping mall would work.
BUYING points is almost insant for me, I'd suggest that way to extend 18 months

DONATE link was broken for me when I tried
Firewind likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
BUYING points is almost insant for me, I'd suggest that way to extend 18 months

DONATE link was broken for me when I tried
looks like the donate page is working again.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:41 am

Hi,

my expiry date is 07/01/2021

is it 1st July or 7th of Jan 2021?
Old Dec 21, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tboons
Hi,

my expiry date is 07/01/2021

is it 1st July or 7th of Jan 2021?
What is your location? If USA, then the date is July 1, 2021 (the US site uses the format: MM/DD/YYYY). I don't know if Choice has different websites for different countries (some hotel/airline sites are given custom makeovers for each country, but I'm US based so I don't know whether they follow along), but if so, it's possible that you would have an expiration date of January 7. 2021 (format: DD/MM/YYYY).

Choice, as are many other hotel/airline programs, is extending expiration dates for status members, but it appears that this policy does not extend to all members, such as those who have earned points but haven't reached one of their status tiers. Take a look at your activity list--in normal, non-covid times, there must be point activity (either earning or redemption) every 18 months to keep your account alive. If your last activity was in the June/July 2019 timeframe and you don't qualify for an extension by status, your expiration would be around January 2021. If your last activity was in the January 2020 timeframe and you don't qualify for an extension by status, your expiration should be July 1, 2021.

If you do qualify for one of Choice's status tiers, you should be getting a message shortly--I already have--that indicates that there is an extension of the activity deadline through December 31, 2021.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 4:55 pm

My last stay and checkout was 30th Dec 2019?

so I think 1st July 2021? I am abit upset. They should also extend the points for those who stayed in 2019? I had 8 nights in 2019. Was planning to visit Japan this year but everything is off. There is very limited properties in Asia for redemption
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:55 pm

Programs: AC
200K points expired even after booking reward stay Jan 1st - beware

Made a booking while points hadn't yet expired. Account expiry showed 2022 expiry date change.
Cancelled and rebooked with a different date (made a mistake) during the same session. Expiry showed 2021 expiry. Logged in a week later. All points were removed.
Rewards point reservation for future stay remains in profile.
...but looks like if you cancel the booking near expiry and rebook...system will expire the account/points.
Rules show:
Qualifying Activities include redeeming Choice Privileges points,
https://www.choicehotels.com/en-ca/c...es-regulations

It's a shame that the program isn't more aligned with most other hotel programs extending expiry rules into August 2021...but more of a shame that the rules of the program don't account for changes.
Very dissapointed!
Liz, what say you?
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Anyone else having problems buying points? I keep getting told that my purchase is pending and then roughly 48 hours later, the purchase is cancelled.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 4:07 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Anyone else having problems buying points? I keep getting told that my purchase is pending and then roughly 48 hours later, the purchase is cancelled.
We'll be happy to help you check what is going on with your account. When time allows, please send us a private message with your member number, full name, phone number, email, and mailing address. We'll be looking forward to hearing more from you. -Jendy
Old Jan 25, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I'm very disappointed that Choice has continued to expire points in the middle of a pandemic. I guess I reached the 18 month mark and Choice customer service were complete jerks about restoring the points. I realize this was my fault for allowing 18 months to lapse, but I thought most companies were relaxing policies right now.
Brendan and ps9a like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 8:20 am

Not just points but status too, I will remember when I do start traveling, which per company policy is not anytime soon but I am sure will be back once vaccination is more widespread.
ps9a likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Choice has now offered to restore half of the points. I find this offer more offensive then the last (make a stay and get all points back).

They definitely aren't garnering any good will for when people start traveling again. I hope everyone that lost their points lets them know.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by jerryhung
BUYING points is almost instant for me, I'd suggest that way to extend 18 months.
Ditto.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Both of these methods are quick and not a bad deal. Buying points on sale is the key.

With the current promo (40%) I bought some points for my wife's account and they posted within a day.

My son's Alaska Airlines was actually past the 2yr activity point, but I was transferred from Choice (5,000) to Alaska (1,000), posted right away. I bought these points on Getaways sale, so I am not losing anything.

Last edited by JapanFlyerT; Mar 20, 2021 at 9:04 pm
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
Not just points but status too, I will remember when I do start traveling, which per company policy is not anytime soon but I am sure will be back once vaccination is more widespread.
Originally Posted by bworrell
Choice has now offered to restore half of the points. I find this offer more offensive then the last (make a stay and get all points back).

They definitely aren't garnering any good will for when people start traveling again. I hope everyone that lost their points lets them know.
Just came across this thread. All of my points expired in January and I called in Feb and was basically told to get lost but that I could sign up for a credit card and earn some points that way. I wasn't even offered half of the points back.

Update: Choice returned my points with the help of their flyertalk ambassador.

Last edited by ps9a; May 14, 2021 at 1:13 pm
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a
Just came across this thread. All of my points expired in January and I called in Feb and was basically told to get lost but that I could sign up for a credit card and earn some points that way. I wasn't even offered half of the points back.
They told you to "Get Lost", which is what I think all of us should do.

I eventually did get all of my points back, but the effort involved wasn't really worth it. There are many other programs that treat their customers better.

Last edited by bworrell; May 14, 2021 at 8:28 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.