FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 72-Hour Pre-Departure Covid Testing (Experiences Only)
Old Dec 19, 2020, 10:58 pm
Alex_I

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
After reading all the stories, we decided to do Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now) offered by Walgreens.
"ID Now" is the PCR test developed by Abbott. It requires a special PCR machine made by Abbott (this is how they make $$) and the results could be ready in 13 min according to Abbott. To sign up, check the Walgreens websites for locations. I have noticed that more locations are available now then even a week ago. We did the testing in North Carolina and last week the only location in Research Triangle offering "ID Now" was in Durham, which was just 40 min drive away. All the Covid testing is free in North Carolina. To sign up, check appointments at about 7 pm - this is the time when the next day is loaded into the system. Double check the birth date and name - should be the same as in your state ID - otherwise you are in trouble and you will be not able to correct it. The test was done by driving to Pharmacy window on the day of your appointment. You are given q-tip that you put and rotate 5 times in each of your nostrils. Typically, your results are emailed to you in 1 h or so. Walgreens lost the results of my wife and she spent a few hrs on the phone with Walgreen and the company which reports the test. Next day about 1 pm the results were found and properly reported. So if you are flying to HI, I suggest to schedule the test at least a day before preferably no later than in the morning - then you will have time to solve issues if any. Two other tests arrived in 50 min and another in 1 h 20 min with now problem. We made it to Kona and enjoying the island quarantine - free.
Another tip: you can get tested at an early time than you scheduled appointment is but it must be on the same day. At least we did this in North Carolina.