FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....
Old Dec 8, 2020, 1:26 am
phkc070408

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Hmmm? Were new 789s coming from the factory not scheduled Polaris/PP deliveries for at least an year, if not longer?
Originally Posted by dkc192
Seems like Polaris/PP 789s will only be guaranteed on EWR-JNB and SFO-BLR, as these routes require the performance package that only a subset of new 789 deliveries come with; the fact that these birds come with Polaris/PP from the factory is a mere coincidence.
I’m not sure I understand the question, but I’ll try and rephrase what dkc said! UA received 13 new deliveries of 789s in 2020. These planes have a new feature that enable then to fly EWR-CPT and SFO-BLR. The original 25 can not fly these routes.

Since all 13 of the new deliveries came with Polaris/PP factory installed, that means that only these 13 planes, all Polaris/PP equiped can make these runs, Any of the original 25 planes, whether it be the 2 currently with Polaris/PP or the 23 with the sCO configuration, are unable to make this run, which guarantees you a Polaris seat on these two routes.

Originally Posted by erics2356
With that said apparently United hasn't figured out their 787-9 retrofit plans... setting a goal of 2022 summer so we got a long way to go.
I’m still holding my breath for mods to resume. They announced the resumption 3 months ago and only one 788 has been through. When will the next one go in?

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
A downtime is the perfect oppty to get ready to take off quickly as soon as things open up. You invest during a downturn to be at advantage when it ends. And it will end sooner rather than later.
Agreed, however these planes are the most valuable to fly right now. 1. they have the cargo capacity, and 2. they are cheaper to fly, both because of fuel efficiency and the limits that some countries have put on the number of inbound passengers makes it impossible to fill a 777. And looking at the fleet site, none of the 787s (8s, 9s or Xs) have made it into Storage status other then being in for maint/mod.