FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "First Class on Hawaiian Air A330-200 (Seats/Meals/Etc.)" Thread
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:10 am
bgriff

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by azj
Having flown both the UA 777 lie-flat and the HAL 330 lie-flat, I actually like them both. The service and food is always consistently better on HAL, but UA wins for IFE. The UA seat seems more plush and soft, whereas the HAL seat is more firm, but I still get good rest. When flying international on HAL, there is better bedding including a mattress pad, better pillow and duvet. As opposed to the domestic blanket and pillow. The HAL seat, with the control dial, allows you to set the seat in any position you want, which is really nice. Of course, the new Polaris seats are better than both of the above. From what I hear, the HAL 787's will have a new cabin concept, especially in international business/domestic F.

As for nonstop premiums... every airline prices their nonstops that way. Pre COVID HAL had almost 3 flights/day to LAS from HNL on 330's, so obviously people are willing to pay for a nonstop. Those flights were almost always packed, a staff travel nightmare apparently, according to friends. Free upgrades are rare on HAL, with the cabin generally selling out at full fare. I'd happily pay a nonstop premium for JFK, BOS or other long haul's. LAS though, is a bit of a different animal with so many efficient connections whose elapsed time isn't much longer than HAL's nonstop. YMMV right?
Also would note that BOS and JFK get the same upgraded amenities as the international stations (they did pre-COVID anyway) -- a "mattress pad" which goes over the seat and helps somewhat with the firmness of the seat, and a much bigger pillow and nicer blanket. On routes where those amenities are offered I think the downsides of the seat are significantly reduced, though not eliminated. But what they offer on the west coast routes is nowhere near as comfortable, unfortunately.