FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC No Longer Allowing Nexus as Sole Basis to Enter Canada?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:43 am
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Symmetre
YYZ-TPA was a regular run for me before Covid changed a lot of things. I've always used just my Nexus to board and have never been questioned about it once in TPA (or for that matter, MCO, MIA or FLL). You should have no problem.
Pre-COVID is also pre-Amadeus. SFO has explicitly told me the new system "requires" a passport. I don't believe them, but it's the belief among agents.

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I agree. What frustrates me even more is that if you call AC to ask them about the policy for this scenario (or any documents require for international flying) they will say "ask customs we give no advice regarding customs clearance and only follow the published rules when you check in".

And then you show up with the correct documents and instead of checking what the rules are they end up making arbitrary ones instead of actually verifying.

Mind you, customs does say that we should always check with the airlines as they may have more stringent / additional requirements for required documents, but then AC should make this clear if it's the case.

Anyway, AC has made it clear on their website a few months back that a passport is NOT required (i.e., they only recommend that you bring it) https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...documents.html

It's also very easy to find, read and interpret. So it should shut down most opposition a GA or the CIA (Check In Agents) maybe have.
​​​​​
"recommend" is a bit of an understatement.

Emphasis not mine.

A NEXUS card
- Air Canada strongly encourages you to also carry a valid passport when travelling outside the country, even when travelling to or from the United States.
It's just not worth the fight if you have a passport.