FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex vs Amazon disputes
View Single Post
Old Nov 11, 2020, 1:28 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
Recently I noticed two fraudulent charges on my Amex for 1.99 and 12.99, both from Amazon. I contacted Amazon regarding these charges, and the customer service rep asked for a 10 digit charge ID, which I asked Amex CS rep and they said they don't know what that is. I disputed the charges with Amex and the ruling was not in my favor. Amex found that I am responsible for these charges. I went back to Amazon to hopefully get another CS rep, but failed. With the same rep, I explained the situation and asked them to look into it, and they found that there are three other emails/accounts with my Amex info, including my billing address. So Amazon issued the following message for me, which, they said, if taken to the bank, can be used as evidence for my dispute.

With this new information in hand, I reached out to Amex again to dispute the charges. Three weeks later, Amex again ruled that I am responsible for these charges.

This is the second time this has happened - someone used my card info on Amazon to pay for purchases or Prime membership. The first time was with my Chase card, which Chase immediately resolved. This time is much more challenging.

Has anyone has experience similar to mine? How did you resolve it?
For such small amounts, I am surprised Amex ruled against you on the disputes. Many credit card issuers (not necessarily Amex) often just issue credits without any investigation unless you dispute charges often or the disputed charges are higher dollar amounts.

LAX