FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emirates COVID test and other questions
View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2020, 12:53 pm
Saltire74
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by cager
Feeling a little anxious about this proof of insurance thing - is there any official website that states that this is required?
Personally I think it is a bit risky undertaking any international travel without having at least some sort of medical insurance. You can also get insurance that has COVID-19 coverage.

For a nominal fee, you could be saving hundreds of thousands in medical bills if something were to go wrong, not only catching Covid and having to be hospitalised. RTCs, severe food poisoning, unknown medical conditions just to name a few.

If you took ill on a flight and the aircraft had to divert to a third country you would probably be expected to pay those bills.

Yes, the majority of passengers globally do travel without incident and many without travel insurance but it only takes one thing for it all to go wrong.

An ex colleague of mine many years ago was travelling for business and mid flight collapsed and started fitting. He was only a young man, very fit and led a healthy lifestyle. The plane diverted to Istanbul and met by paramedics on the tarmac. Took him to hospital where he had a whole raft of tests and treatment. Eventual bill was in excess of £50,000. Unfortunately they diagnosed a malignant brain tumour. Thankfully he was working at the time and covered by our employers insurance but he was the type of person (and I’m not slighting him in any way) that would go on a personal trip and not bother getting insurance because he was young, fit and healthy. You never know what life is going to throw at you. Be prepared as best you can.

Some people are more risk averse than others but I would urge you to think about getting some travel insurance and that will at least take the worry away about being asked at check in.