FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt Seattle REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:04 am
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Just had a stay here in the last couple of weeks.

Got an emerald suite XX15 room number which had a very nice view of the water and city.

Breakfast (in this era of Covid) was room delivered off of their very limited 24 hour a day room service menu. We ordered quite a bit some mornings (up to 70$ worth) and it was all waived off the bill. Quality of breakfast was simply okay -- kind of like you'd expect at a cafe (warmed up prepacked sandwhich, oatmeal, croissants), but better than 500 points, or a HP/HH breakfast.

The lounge was open but minimally maintained. Coffee machine worked until the last couple of days (afterwhich, we could order coffee free from roomservice). Only water was well stocked. Some perrier was in there for a few days but then when it ran out it wasn't restocked. Some ginger ale appeared for a couple days too, but then wasn't restocked. Only a handful of nuts/dried fruit and energy bars were stocked for food ever. Front desk was clear that we could have anything from their fridge downstairs (sodas) if we wanted.

Did get housekeeping once, but had to schedule it a day in advanced. They said they are on bare minimum housekeeping staff and need to know in advance if they needed to call in anyone.

The gym is open on a reservation based system to limit access to no more than 2 people. We had no problems getting in when we wanted. The saunas were locked up though. The pool and spa at Olive were closed (well, all of Olive8 is closed).

The hotel was very very empty. Only saw maybe eight other guests in the hallways and lobby all week. It felt like we were staying in an abandoned building, but that was kind of what we were hoping for.

It was overall a very nice getaway. The front desk was very responsive and courteous. This was my second stay in which seems like a half a dozen that I didn't have to get something corrected on my billing. Seattle is still very much closed up with several museums still closed, early closing hours for most retail, etc., but it has some of the lowest rates in the country right now so they must be doing something right. Pine street is still pretty much boarded up from the threat of protests/riots, but retail is open, there were families out and about, and never did I feel unsafe or uncomfortable. One of the primary reasons I went (other than just to get away somewhere super cheap for a bit) was to check out the museum of flight, which was open and I really enjoyed it. The most frustrating problem I found with the trip was that a lot of restaurants in Seattle open very limited hours, like 11 to 1:30 or 5-8. I am usually a 7AM and 3PM eater when I travel, so it was a bit frustrating to find food when I wanted to eat mid afternoon. And, a lot of easy lunch places downtown are closed (many look permanently closed), so there isn't all that many options even in the immediate vicinity.