FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Commuting FA in Tears; GA Didn't Want to Give Her Empty F Seat With No Y Available
Old Oct 13, 2020, 1:15 pm
st530

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Commuting FA in Tears; GA Didn't Want to Give Her Empty F Seat With No Y Available

Mods, could not find a relevant thread but please move if not appropriate as a standalone thread.

On a flight yesterday as we were about to close the door and start taxi, the GA came on-board and asked the crew if they would permit a commuting FA (who had to work ex-IAH later that evening) to sit in an empty F seat. The crew basically said "Fine with us" and a minute later on comes a very frazzled looking young FA who was clearly red-eyed and teary, who takes seat 1D (both seats 1C and 1D were empty after all upgrades cleared). After the GA closes the cabin door, the attending FA starts talking to the commuting FA about what happened (I overheard all this from 2A) and in a nutshell, the commuting FA says (paraphrasing): "I've never had this happen to me before. He refused to seat me because Y was sold out, and he refused to seat me in F. I asked him if he could move someone in Y to F to free up a seat for me in Y, but he refused that too. I have to work tonight! It would not have been the end of the world if I didn't get on this flight--I could have called in--but I have just never been treated this way by a GA before." It seems the commuting FA had to force the GA to take the issue to the crew. The attending FA seemed equally surprised at the GA's behavior.

Was the GA correct in this situation?