FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AVIOS SALE! 50% off long haul redemptions, 25% off short haul
Old Oct 10, 2020, 12:23 am
bpaldes

Programs: Iberia, BAEC, TAP, Azul, Hilton, Marriott, etc
Angry Awart Chart increased?

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Managed to book though GGL line. Redeemed PE, upgraded to Club using GUF. Avios charged with 50% discount for longhaul segments but only 25% discount for shorthaul segments. There was no redemption availability on my chosen flights, so was able to use Joker without issues.

Question: Shorthaul segments seem to require a lot more Avios before discount. For example, Zone 2 destinations initially cost 9,500 Avios (oneway PE off peak before discount) but today I was priced 11,000 Avios for the same (which became 8,250 Avios after 25% discount). Is this correct - if so, seems like BA had jacked up the redemption prices, then gave a discount?

Furthermore the agent (based in India) that I spoke with didn't seem to be completely familiar with this promotion. At one stage, she had to read live and understand the terms and conditions herself with me, while I was on the line. Then I was shockingly told that the discount applied to ONLY the destinations displayed on BA's website - which was totally incorrect, as I'm aware from this thread that many others have redeemed for destinations aside from the handful or so mentioned on the website as EXAMPLES. I pointed this out and insisted that she checked internally. She then put me on an extremely long hold, and came back with the costing, apologising profusely.

Got to the booking in the end, didn't need to HUACA, but not an overall smooth experience.
I noticed the same thing. Is it confirmed that award chart was changed for short haul flights???