FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AVIOS SALE! 50% off long haul redemptions, 25% off short haul
Old Oct 9, 2020, 4:28 pm
TTmex

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I'm weighing up the following.

Have a return MEX-LHR-MEX end of December coming back end of Jan. Paid 1840 USD Club World plus 47500 avios to First. Not sure why at the time, but I also had taken off some money with 10k avios as well. so technically used 57500 Avios in total.

If I was to cancel this now and take a voucher, I assume voucher is worth 1840 plus 57500 avios?

I then have 13000 avios in my account currently, having just shelled out 200k of them a few weeks ago to upgrade a number of flights next year.

With the 50% deal, I appear to be able to get Club outbound, First return for 73750 Avios plus 640 GBP in taxes (non-peak dates instead now). This would save me over 1k USD in cash for a future ticket. But, I'd be losing the TPs and Avios (approx 28k due to be earned on the paid CW ticket), plus now using the 13k in my account plus 4k extra I can get from my credit card instantly via Iberia.

Is 1k USD worth using/losing 40k avios and 280 TPs? That's the difficult question for me. I saw buying 40k in normal rates is 640 quid. The TPs is the difficult bit. I wonder whether 1125 will even be need for gold as travel will be massively restricted until some time in the future. Of course each person will value things differently, but I wanted to get an idea if I am making a stupid mistake or not in canceling the rev ticket and rebooking with Avios.

Thoughts?

Thanks