FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DYKWIA | 2020/21 edition
View Single Post
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:39 am
Nick Art
Moderator: SAS

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by Nick Art
While not a traditional DYKWIA I have this story from a few years ago. I didn't deem it good enough back then, but as we seem to have a bit if a dry time I hope it'll be good enough:

I was returning from Marrakech and at the airport I met the parents of a friends friend of mine. Now at the time Marrakech airport was a bit of a mess regarding Lounges and Fast Track as you'd need a voucher from the check-in and they only gave them out if you asked and even then it was a gamble.

Since I know Marrakech a bit as I pass through it often enough I started to explain the process to those two while we were waiting in line for the check-in to open.
My explanation was met with a quite abrupt "I know, I travel a few hundred thousand miles per year." from the guy. (It was his first time in Marrakech I later found out).

Despite my urge to not tell them that they were in the wrong check-in line (I was flying to Geneva with Swiss, they were flying to Zurich direct with Edelweiss, a Swiss subsidiary, and despite that the flights always use different check-in desks), I did, which was met with a "I know what I'm doing. This is the right line." They stood their ground and when coming to the desk after me, after some arguing, they were sent away to the other business desk at which a huge line had formed by now.
Telling them: "I told you so." just didn't feel quite fitting then. Ah regrets...

Later in the terminal I was sitting in the lounge enjoying a drink when both of them arrived. I greeted them and told them that it's great they were let in as it's always a bit of a gamble here to which the guy replied with a pretentious smile: "I have all the cards to get in anywhere. Boy, why did they let you in?" while showing me his wallet with a Priority Pass, a few golden credit cards and one very high status card.

I really wish I had a better response than literally just telling them I had status and was flying J... Suggestions for next time are very welcome.

It's just the cheesy way he said it that made everyone around know how highly he thought of himself, in the sense of DYKWIA.
I mean I did share a DYKWIA story yesterday trying to get back on track, but it got burried in this other discussion...