FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing
Old Sep 27, 2020, 5:43 pm
lincolnjkc

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Thank you...the East v. West dilemma is killing me. I love the vibe/housing stock in Onaway and lower CH (I honestly thought I'd buy here), but being near the Valley and the Marina is a HUGE draw for me (pup likes to run a LOT off leash and I have a boat). I found a small neighborhood in Fairview Park (Coffinberry) that has mostly WWII homes, largish lots, abuts the Valley and is not outrageously priced (like, say Western Lakewood or northern Rocky River)...but it's not quite as scenic as CH/SH. Plus, being 1/2 hour closer to MI (family cabin is there) and DTW (for DL international directs) is a big plus. But I'm worried about flight noise.
Not sure where in MI the family cabin is but with Grandparents on the southern tip of the UP I can assure you if you're going that far the half our doesn't make a huge difference. If you're going to be flying from DTW on the other hand I can see that point (I'm not sure if they're still there but when CLE was hub for CO and NW were both in Skyteam there were plenty of non-stops between the two cities and it was like a 30 minute flight that saved a couple hours vs. going round the horn... did CLE-DTW-Pellston many times over the years for both work and pleasure (I swore off DL about 16 years ago so can't be of much help with the modern DL/post NW merger offerings though)

Just off my gut looking at Fairview Park relative to CLE (and its runways) except for unusual wind situations I think you'd be unlikely to get much aircraft noise since Fairview Park is north of but in the middle of the primary runways so it would have to be an odd flight path to be low enough over FP to make much noise in my experience... But if it's a significant concern you could always try visiting the neighborhood at a few different times of day -- perhaps a walk for doggo would be a good stakeout opportunity -- while you're on the east side your pup would probably appreciate Shaker Lakes if you haven't already come across that little oasis.