FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta to retire 717, 767-300ER and CRJ-200
Old Sep 26, 2020, 6:57 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For D1, DL has been making a big deal about 100% direct aisle access and it makes a big difference unless you always travel as a couple. For TATL routes, there's a big difference between a 767 and a 757 for this reason and the 767 similarly is a much better experience in coach. I'll take an additional connection to get a 767 rather than a 757 with flat beds for a long segment.

Oh well, I guess any future trips to Europe will involve connections through AMS on KLM (or CDG on AF now), just like I did for a long time with PMNW.

Many small airports would rather have CRJ-200 service than no (DL) service at all. I feel the same when I have to go to one of these places, although I'll gladly fly nonstop or mainline too some bigger nearby airport, rent a car, and drive an hour or two. OTOH, if the nearby airport also requires connections or a CRJ-700 or equivalent, I'll pick the CRJ-200 right to my destination.

It could be interesting if no major carrier wants to bid for an EAS contract or if some of the current tiny EAS carriers are able to expand. There's one I stumbled upon recently that serves some small airports in Iowa and looks very good. It doesn't appear to have any form of partnerships or even interline arrangements with other carriers, so they seem to sell their own point to point tickets with no way to check bags through either. [I noticed the symbol coming and going from a far A/B gate at MSP T1 one day on realtime airport viewer and was curious.]