FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights
Old Sep 23, 2020, 1:48 pm
capedreamer

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by vinosity
Hello everyone. I hate being one of those new joiners whose first post is asking for advice/complaining, but here goes. Please forgive me.

To cut a long story short, I am stuck Bolivia as Lufthansa are not honouring their duty of care, as far as I can see.

My initial flights VVI-BOG-FRA-MAN, scheduled for June 17 were cancelled. The VVI-BOG leg was via Copa, the rest being with Lufthansa. The initial ticketing was all done through Lufthansa.

Each time I talk to the service centre I get a different series of responses.

When borders reopened (1/9/20) they ticketed me via Sao Paolo, flying the first leg on an airline they don't have an interline agreement with (Amaszonas). This first leg kept being deticketed, and they kept trying again.

The upshot of my latest conversation with them, resulted in them offering three options.
  • Pay £3000 for the reticketing of my Lufthansa flight from Sao Paulo; I would have to make my own way to Sao Paulo. (they had originally offered this with no rebooking fee, before reneging when I came to book)
  • Take a partial refund (which removes their duty of care)
  • Wait until Copa starts operating internationally again and fly via my initial routing (this could be October; but there is no real indication as to when)
I have refused to accept the first two options, and my ticket is currently on hold.

As far as I can see they are in direct contravention of EU Reg 261/2004

I am currently overstaying my visa, as the Bolivian borders opened on 1/9/20 for the purposes of air travel. This is incurring me a $3 per day penalty.

The Lufthansa office in La Paz, Bolivia are refusing to return my calls.

Quite frankly, I am desperate. I have to go home. Any advice or guidance that anyone can give would be gratefully received.
Wow this sounds truly horrible. Sorry I don't have any useful suggestions. Just wanted to express my sympathies and send you good luck!