FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel to EU with UK passport post Jan 1st and the 180 days passport validity rule
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:15 pm
criso

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TWA884
I am well aware of that as I have traveled on the Eurostar between London and Paris and London and Brussels several times. However, you specifically asked if the European Union's website phrasing of "a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport" applies entering the EU from outside the EU as well as to traveling between EU countries. Since I have no idea what your relative's itinerary is, I added that currently, due to COVID-19 restrictions, there are border controls and passport or national ID checks when crossing borders within the EU. Your relative should not remain in the EU after his or her passport has less than 90 days of validity remaining.

For what it is worth, I always renew my US passport at least six months before the expiration date because depending on my travel destinations, its usefulness can be rather limited in the last six months of validity.
Sorry wasn't clear. I was askung about a uk pasdport holder travelling to the eu and the new 180 day validity rule post jan 1st hence the thread title.

The website i was referring to was the gov.uk one which mentions 180 days for going to Europe but not what happens if your passport dips under during your stay. I looked at the europe one you linked to hoping for more info but i couldn't find much.

I always need 6 months on my passport as destinations vary but there are many people in the uk who don't teavel that much outside Europe who are having to think about this for the first time. To be fair it's an unprecedented situation for all.