Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel to EU with UK passport post Jan 1st and the 180 days passport validity rule

Travel to EU with UK passport post Jan 1st and the 180 days passport validity rule

Old Sep 15, 20, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Apologies if this has been asked before, I had a good search and looked in the wiki and couldn't find the answer If you have 180 days on your passport for the outward leg but it drops below that during your stay, will your passport be valid to come back. The gov.uk site only considers the outward leg and says you cannot travel to the EU post Jan 1st in this scenario but not if you can come back if you have travelled out in Dec.

Thanks for any help
Old Sep 15, 20, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
From the official website of the European Union:

Travel documents for non-EU nationals

Passport and visa requirements

If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:
  • valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,
  • which was issued within the previous 10 years,
I doubt that they will stop you from exiting the Schengen Zone if your passport is valid for less than three months, although there may be other sanctions. The UK should let you in regardless of passport validity as long as you are a UK citizen.
Old Sep 16, 20, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that.
By travel "within the eu" do they mean a non eu national travelling from one eu country to another eu country rather than travel between non eu and eu countries. It does say at the bottom Uk have different requirements even now.
​​​​​​
Useful site though, i was looking at the uk ones, I'll see if i can find any more info.

Not my passport or even my trip but a family member.
Old Sep 16, 20, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by criso View Post
By travel "within the eu" do they mean a non eu national travelling from one eu country to another eu country rather than travel between non eu and eu countries.
Depends if there are passport controls. Prior to COVID-19, travel within the Schengen Zone was free of immigration/passport checks. Nowadays, I have no idea, some member states closed their borders to stop the spread of the pandemic. Whether those borders have reopened and are currently free of document checks, I do not know.

I think that you are probably going to get better advice in the Europe forum, where Schengen issues are generally discussed, so I'll move this thread over there.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 16, 20, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You also will not get reliable information until closer to your travel and by posting the specific routing.

Some countries have instituted border controls with passport checks and others have not. That is bound to change between now and January 1, not to mention thereafter.

My recommendation, given the fluidity of the pandemic as well as the disharmony associated with Brexit is that you use the time between now and 31 December to renew your passport so that yours becomes an academic question.

To be clear, whatever happens, you won't be denied entry to the UK, presuming that your location is your citizenship as well.
Old Sep 16, 20, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Depends if there are passport controls. Prior to COVID-19, travel within the Schengen Zone was free of immigration/passport checks. Nowadays, I have no idea, some member states closed their borders to stop the spread of the pandemic. Whether those borders have reopened and are currently free of document checks, I do not know.

I think that you are probably going to get better advice in the Europe forum, where Schengen issues are generally discussed, so I'll move this thread over there.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Thank you, sorry to post in the wrong place, there seemed to be similar questions.

UK has never been part of Schengen and travel to and from the rest of Europe from the UK has always been subject to basic document checks even if just for validity albeit not needed for entry reasons.

I'll tell the person whose passport it is just to renew and lose the 6 months on it, UK stopped adding unused months if you renewed early a couple of years ago. There doesn't seem to be any clarity yet on any official site.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Sep 16, 20, 5:17 pm

UK has never been part of Schengen and travel to and from the rest of Europe from the UK has always been subject to basic document checks even if just for validity albeit not needed for entry reasons.
I am well aware of that as I have traveled on the Eurostar between London and Paris and London and Brussels several times. However, you specifically asked if the European Union's website phrasing of "a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport" applies entering the EU from outside the EU as well as to traveling between EU countries. Since I have no idea what your relative's itinerary is, I added that currently, due to COVID-19 restrictions, there are border controls and passport or national ID checks when crossing borders within the EU. Your relative should not remain in the EU after his or her passport has less than 90 days of validity remaining.

For what it is worth, I always renew my US passport at least six months before the expiration date because depending on my travel destinations, its usefulness can be rather limited in the last six months of validity.
Old Sep 16, 20, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Yes you will be OK to return to the UK

Remember as well that if the current passport has an extension on it from a previous early renewal that the extension period is excluded from the validity calculation.

This is the current UK guidance.

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021

There is a passport validity checker here for travel after 31st December here

https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-...1-january-2021
Old Sep 16, 20, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

I am well aware of that as I have traveled on the Eurostar between London and Paris and London and Brussels several times. However, you specifically asked if the European Union's website phrasing of "a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport" applies entering the EU from outside the EU as well as to traveling between EU countries. Since I have no idea what your relative's itinerary is, I added that currently, due to COVID-19 restrictions, there are border controls and passport or national ID checks when crossing borders within the EU. Your relative should not remain in the EU after his or her passport has less than 90 days of validity remaining.

For what it is worth, I always renew my US passport at least six months before the expiration date because depending on my travel destinations, its usefulness can be rather limited in the last six months of validity.
Sorry wasn't clear. I was askung about a uk pasdport holder travelling to the eu and the new 180 day validity rule post jan 1st hence the thread title.

The website i was referring to was the gov.uk one which mentions 180 days for going to Europe but not what happens if your passport dips under during your stay. I looked at the europe one you linked to hoping for more info but i couldn't find much.

I always need 6 months on my passport as destinations vary but there are many people in the uk who don't teavel that much outside Europe who are having to think about this for the first time. To be fair it's an unprecedented situation for all.
Old Sep 16, 20, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Yes you will be OK to return to the UK

Remember as well that if the current passport has an extension on it from a previous early renewal that the extension period is excluded from the validity calculation.

This is the current UK guidance.

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021

There is a passport validity checker here for travel after 31st December here

https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-...1-january-2021
Thank you. I found the checker and forwarded it on. It comes out as not valid for travel to Europe after which we knew but didn't talk about coming back if you're already there. I think she'll renew before Christmas anyway to be safe as without 180 days on it, the passport isn't any use for other trips.
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As a UK national she cannot ultimately be denied entry to the UK. The larger problem is for travel within Schengen at a time when passports are being checked by some countries. She could and would be denied entry. In any event, the purpose of a passport is to conclusively demonstrate citizenship. Given that there is a lot of time and a renewal readily available, it is hard to imagine putting oneself through the wringer on the return. Good advice to her.
Old Sep 16, 20, 11:59 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
By travel "within the eu" do they mean a non eu national travelling from one eu country to another eu country rather than travel between non eu and eu countries. It does say at the bottom Uk have different requirements even now.
From the official website of the European Union:If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:
  • valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,
  • which was issued within the previous 10 years,
Originally Posted by https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021
On the day you travel, you’ll need your passport to both:
  • have at least 6 months left
  • be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left)

I don't understand your confusion.

Firstly, unless a special deal is made regarding travel, which I think is exceedingly unlikely as there appears to be no desire for any, British citizens will be treated as any other non-EU/EEA/CH citizen from 1 Jan 2021.

The above websites are clear. On the day you enter Schengen, your passport needs to be valid for a further 6 months and be less than 10 years old (in practice this means it will be less than 9 years 6 months old). Furthermore your passport needs to be valid for 3 months after the date you intend to leave.

Nothing says that your passport must be valid for 6 months from the date you leave. British citizens will most likely only be allowed to stay in Schengen for 90 days in one go, so a passport valid for 6 months on entry and 3 months on exit fits that.

If you are travelling between Schengen countries and there are internal passport checks, these are often just visual and if you have a valid entry stamp into Schengen and have not overstayed, nobody will be bothered.

Of course, it's always possible that countries break the Schengen rules (they have been doing so since 2015 and the EU doesn't care) and require your passport to be valid for 6 months from the date of entry into that country despite coming from another Schengen country, but you would hope that at least they publicise these changes before you travel.
Old Sep 17, 20, 3:59 am

Is there a specific reason why the UK government requires the passport to be valid for 6 months at the time of departure? It seems like an odd requirement, especially considering most PAX are likely to only travel for a few days.
Old Sep 17, 20, 10:38 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Is there a specific reason why the UK government requires the passport to be valid for 6 months at the time of departure? It seems like an odd requirement, especially considering most PAX are likely to only travel for a few days.
It's not the UK government requiring it, but advising that many other countries want your passport to be valid for 6 months on the day you arrive there.
Old Sep 18, 20, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
It's not the UK government requiring it, but advising that many other countries want your passport to be valid for 6 months on the day you arrive there.
Well that's odd then, given that the Schengen zone only requires 3 months after planned departure, and most PAX are likely to travel for very short periods.
If I use the "calculator" link on that page https://www.gov.uk/check-a-passport-...1-january-2021 and enter a passport validity date of anything earlier than July 1st it shows a big red notice saying my passport isn't valid for travel.

Either way if that's not a requirement by the UK government, I see no reason why OP's family member need to renew their passport, if it has 180 days validity on the day of departure, and the maximum stay in Schengen is 90 days, then bar a very rare scenario in which OPs passport will have exactly 180 days on departure, OPs stay will be exactly 90 days and includes February in it, he should be fine.
TWA884 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: